Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bash script to rename files in a directory Post 302601858 by DGPickett on Friday 24th of February 2012 03:41:30 PM
Old 02-24-2012
If you do not quote the white space, "$name" every reference, you need to use line feed as your delimiter, or if you have embedded linefeeds, more extreme tricks, like keying off the 'ls -l' non-name printout to pile up the right number of lines, tricky at EOF where there is no following line with an 'ls -l' prefix. C, PERL and such can handle each file name as one string without looking inside.
Code:
$ mkdir emb-ws
$ cd emb-ws
$ echo 'a space' >'a space'
$ echo 'two  space' >'two  space'
$ echo 'a   tab' >'a   tab'
$ echo 'a^Mcarriage-return' >'a^Mcarriage-return'
$  echo 'a
linefeed' >'a
linefeed'
$ ls | while read f; do   echo ">$f<"; done | cat -vte
> )
>a^Itab<$
>a<$
>linefeed<$
>a^Mcarriage-return<$
>a space<$
>two  space<$
$ ls -l |cat -vte
total 20$
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dpickett dpickett  6 Feb 24 15:09 a^Itab$
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dpickett dpickett 11 Feb 24 15:09 a$
linefeed$
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dpickett dpickett 18 Feb 24 15:09 a^Mcarriage-return$
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dpickett dpickett  8 Feb 24 15:09 a space$
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dpickett dpickett 11 Feb 24 15:09 two  space$
$

This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello - new here - bash script - need to rename and zip files.

I'm working on a project that basically unzips three zip files. When these unzip they create about 70+ directories with subdirectories of year/month with about 3 to 9 pdf files in each directory. Basically, I'm needing to figure out a way to zip these pdf files up. for instance the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aixia
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH shell script to rename webcam jpg and copy into a new directory.

System: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex I'm running webcamd as a sort of "security" program, but I need a script that will archive my webcam.jpg files. So, take the following file: /home/slag/www/webcam.jpg Rename it--preferably with a time stamp. Place it in say: /home/slag/www/history/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robfindlay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename many files in a directory

Hi, I have around 100 xml file in a directory. I need to rename the files from .xml to .xml1. So i tried using the following command: mv *.xml *.xml1 but i am getting the following error mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory Try `mv --help' for more... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename all files within a folder...

Hi. I don't have any experience with making scripts in bash. I need a simple script to rename all files in a folder to the format file1.avi, file2.avi, file3.avi, and so on..... Please note that the original files have different filenames and different extensions. But they all need to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranzer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to execute a program to rename files

I just can't figure it out , so please just give me a pice of advise how to: The existing Linux program foo2bar takes as its only argument the name of a single foo file and converts it to an appropriately-named bar file. Provide a script that when executed will run foo2bar against all foo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raymen
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Been working since 25+ hrs: Bash Script to rename files supposedly direct but difficult to execute

:wall::wall::wall: Hi I have horrible script below, need help in renaming ls -l output into new filename format: Desired output: cp -pv original_path/.* newDirectory/owner_of_file.%dd%mm%y.file_extension.first_8_characters_of_original_filename localuser@localuser:~ vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to copy apache log files to client directory

Our Apache log files are written to a location on the server that we as clients have no access. Don't ask. Every month, I have to e-mail the administrator to have him manually copy our Apache log files to a directory in our file space. You can probably guess how efficient it is to do things this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregraven
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename files repeats previous filename in directory

In the below bash processes substitution, if there are 3 files in a directory /home/cmccabe/medex.logs/analysis.log, the filename variable is set to where these files are located. The code does execute, the problem is that if there is a renamed file in the output directory below, it gets... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to make a bash script that goes through directory files and changes things

I'm trying to write a script in a directory that goes through the column the user specifies of 4 files that are inside the directory and calculates the min and the max values. This means that if the user specifies column 5, the script will go through column 5 of all 4 files and all that should give... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric1
2 Replies
ECHO(1) 							   User Commands							   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: NNN the character whose ASCII code is NNN (octal) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
Report echo bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'echo invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 ECHO(1)