Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dot operator and space, Parameter not set Post 302601828 by ysrini on Friday 24th of February 2012 01:02:14 PM
Old 02-24-2012
I resolved this by using ':-' after the variable name
Code:
if [ -z "${VAR_1:-}" ]
then
   echo "is empty"
fi 
echo "done"

This causes the shell not to exit if the variable is not set or null

Thanks,
-srinivas
This User Gave Thanks to ysrini For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DEBUG_PROG and opts: parameter not set

I am using a Sun Ultra 30 with 250MG of RAM and 9GIG of hard drive. I connect to the machine via Exceed 6 and have the Oracle8i for Solaris in the cdrom drive. I have read and complied with Oracle's instruction in preparation to installing Oracle. Since I don't have enough space to cp the content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alexxx14
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: dbfFILe: parameter not set

Having the following message returned: FIND REDLOG FILES..... ksh: dbfFILe: parameter not set When I attempt to perform the script below....#!/bin/ksh . $HOME/.profile # Initial Script Prerequisites ORACLE_SID=MDirect ; export ORACLE_SID REDOLOGDIR=$ARCLOGDEST ; export REDOLOGDIR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

set mysql password with host parameter

hi, linux gurus... i'm trying to write a script in ksh called ResetPass that allows a user to change mysql passwords. the script accepts user, password and host like this: ResetPass <user> <password> <host>. here's the code: ***************************************************** mysql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove space between the operator, script required...

Hi... i need a script to remove the space before and after the operator like( +, -, ||, &&). Ex : Input file apple + manago mango && fresh + apple fresh || fruit Desired output: apple+manago mango&&fresh+apple fresh||fruit (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set command ending with a "." (dot)

Hi I have a "set" command which ends with a "." (dot), for example: set `grep "\<${pnum}\>" /tstmp/data.txt |sed 's/#//'` . Can somebody help me to understand the purpose of this "set" and "." combination? The problem is that this command does not produce the same result when run on AIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

6. SCO

Parameter passing to dot shell script

OS SCO Open Server 6.0 MP4 I am trying to change the value of a enviornment variable thru a script and want to pass a parameter on the commande line, If I hard code the value inside the script the script changes the enviornment variable . mytest where my test is MYVAR=$1 export MYVAR... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atish0
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk and space in the parameter

Hi, Could you please tell me how nawk command works when there is a asterisk <*> or space with asterisk < *> or <* > in the parameter. I am just trying to read line by line and fetch fourth parameter separated by delimiter (|). But if there is a * or < *> or <* > in the fourth parameter it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
7 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with STL's std::set container parameter to the operator << ()

Hi, I have this following code which gives me error when compiling. The problem is happening at the point where I create a const_iterator inside the overloaded insertion operator (i.e) operator << () function. The template argument version of set is not correct I guess. Could anyone please pitch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed - add space between dot and letter

I need to change . into . so that e.g. A.Jbecomes A. JI have tried sed 's/\./\.\ /g' but that didn't work. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't set parameter to lynx properly

My intention is to go through list of addresses and call google geocode api for each of them. I am using lynx for this, but somehow I can't supply the parameters to it in a proper way. To show that my parameters are OK I just hardcoded one address in my script and put it in my input file, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)