Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing arguments from a bash shell script to a command Post 302601801 by Corona688 on Friday 24th of February 2012 11:58:07 AM
Old 02-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbly
Thanks... that ought to be enough to let me figure it out. FWIW, the original code looked like this, and it works. (Which are certainly not to say that it couldn't be cleaner -- I'm only just starting with bash scripting.)
You've made two fundamental errors in such a way that they cancel each other out and work correctly here. I'm impressed Smilie

"true" and "false" are not special values to bash. They're just strings.

But...

As it happens, there are external utilities named true and false. true always returns success, and false always returns error.
Code:
$ whereis true
true: /bin/true /usr/share/man/man1/true.1.bz2 /usr/share/man/man1p/true.1p.bz2
$

Also, the code if program arguments ... is a way of checking the result of an external program. If $VARNAME was 'rm -Rf /home/myusername/', if $VARNAME would run the command rm -Rf /home/myusername/. If 'rm' succeeded in deleting your home directory, it would return a zero value, which the if-statement would consider a boolean 'true'. If it failed for some reason and returned a nonzero code, that would be a boolean 'false'.

So you've been converting the strings true and false into zero or nonzero program return codes, by running external programs that happen to be named true and false, then checking their result. Rather the long way around! Smilie

Seeing the code, if your filenames and arguments will never contain spaces, you can make this much much simpler:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash

wd=$(dirname "$0")
pyth=$(which python)
latex=$(which latex)
xelatex=$(which xelatex)
mkindex=$(which makeindex)

input="$wd/ALMSGrammar.txt"
texfile="$wd/build/ALMSGrammar.tex"

ARGS="$input $texfile"

while getopts "isc:" opt; do
  case $opt in
    i)
        ARGS="$ARGS --indices"
        INDICES=1
      ;;
    s)
      ARGS="$ARGS --label-slots"
      ;;
    c)
      ARGS="$ARGS --categories $OPTARG"
      ;;
    \?)
      echo "Invalid option: -$OPTARG" >&2
      echo "Usage:" >&2
      echo -e "   -i \tgenerate indices" >&2
      echo -e "   -s \tlabel slots" >&2
      exit 1
      ;;
  esac
done

# Note $ARGS is not in quotes and MUST NOT be in quotes.
# The spaces cause the arguments to split apart where you want them to.
# "$ARGS" would make it one giant argument.
$pyth "$wd/texify_grammar.py" $ARGS 

pushd "$wd/build"

# This is how you do string comparison!  -z means "if the string is empty".
# See http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/refcards.html#AEN22167 for details
# on more kinds of comparison.
if [ ! -z "$INDICES" ]
then
  "$latex" ALMSGrammar.tex
  "$mkindex" tokens
  "$mkindex" categories
  "$mkindex" todo
  "$latex" ALMSGrammar.tex
fi

"$xelatex" ALMSGrammar.tex
popd

mv "$wd/build/ALMSGrammar.pdf" "$wd"
open "$wd/ALMSGrammar.pdf"

Last edited by Corona688; 02-24-2012 at 01:15 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Passing arguments to a shell script from file while scheduling in cron

Hi, I have a shell script Scp_1.sh for which I have to pass 2 arguments to run. I have another script Scp_2.sh which in turns calls script Scp_1.sh inside. How do I make Scp_1.sh script to read arguments automatically from a file, while running Scp_2.sh? -- Weblogic Support (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: weblogicsupport
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing runtime arguments to a shell script...

hi I am new to shell programming.....my question is while running one of my shell program it stops in between to accept input from the user and proceeds furthur after giving input....I want to know whether I can set this input through some files so that the shell acript reads the input from the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to unix command or script inside tclsh

hi everobody kindly consider the following in tclsh I understand that we can do the following %exec UnixCmd arg1 arg2 but if I assinged the arguments to a list insde tclsh how can I use them back i.e %set ArgList %exec UnixCmd %exec Unixcmd $list %exec all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blue_shadow
1 Replies

5. Programming

Passing arguments from java to script shell

Hello Please i want to pass parameter (the string s) to the shell script: Quote: String s="Hello"; Process process = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("sh script1.sh"); How can i do please? Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments to a shell script

Hi Gurus, Need some help with the shell scripting here. #!/bin/ksh ps -ef | grep -i sample.ksh | grep -v grep > abc.txt if then echo "sample.ksh is executing" else echo "sample.ksh is not executing" fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a bash script

Hi, I wanted to pass an argument to a bash script. So that the argument is used inside the awk command inside the bash script. I know the noraml way of passing argument to a bash script as below : sh myScript.sh abc Inside the bash script i can use like this myArg1=$1 wc $myArg But... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to interactive program through bash script, here document

Dear Users, I have installed a standalone program to do multiple sequence alignment which takes user parameters to run the program. I have multiple sequence files and want to automate this process through a bash script. I have tried to write a small bash code but its throwing errors. Kindly... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: biochemist
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell script passing arguments problem.

I found something insteresting when I tested passing arguments into my scripts. My scripts is as below. % cat passarg.env #!/bin/csh echo "passarg: argv = $argv argv = $argv" passarg1.env $* % cat passarg1.env #!/bin/csh echo "passarg1: argv = $argv argvp=$argv" set str = "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing Arguments to shell script from file is not working as expected.

Hi All, I have below simple shell script in cloudera quick start vm cenos 6 which copy file from source to destination. # file_copy.sh source_dir = ${source_dir} target = ${target_dir} cp source_dir target and my parameter file is like below #parameter_file.txt source_dir =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narasimhasss
4 Replies