Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stderr redirection not working Post 302601550 by animesharma on Friday 24th of February 2012 01:40:18 AM
Old 02-24-2012
stderr redirection not working

I am running tcsh/csh shell on my machine. lately i have realized my stderr file redirection is not working.

Please find the terminal logs as below:

Code:
>echo b c >>& log
>cat log
b c
>echo $a b c >>& log
a: Undefined variable.
>cat log
b c

I have never faced such issues, hence not sure how to debug or troubleshoot. Please advice!

Last edited by Scott; 02-24-2012 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr redirection in csh script

Man pages....look at the man pages. If you don't have them, you can find them on-line. Read them when you have nothing better to do. Find new commands and new ways of doing things. The answer: The only way to direct the standard output and standard error separately is by invoking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehoghunter
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh stderr redirection

Hi everyone, Simple scripting question here. I have: #!/bin/csh if ( -e $HOME/*.core) then rm -f $HOME/*.core >& /dev/null else echo "No core files to delete." endif But I keep getting the /home/user/*.core: no match dialog. How can I suppress this? or, why is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection not working as expected

Portion of my script below : if ; then NUMBEROFFEILDS=`cat ${BASE_SCRIPT_LOC}/standardfilecleanup.lst|grep -w ${db_file_path}|awk -F: '{print NF}'` COUNT=4 while ; do awk_var="$"`echo $COUNT` file_name1=`cat ${BASE_SCRIPT_LOC}/standardfilecleanup.lst|grep -w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findprakash
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why stderr file descriptor redirection makes ksh's "select" construct hang.

I am trying to use one global declaration --> "exec 2>$ERR" to capture all stderr outputs that may occur anywhere in my script. Then close it at the end of the script using --> "exec 2<&-" I am using KSH on Solaris 8. KSH Version M-11/16/88i If I comment two "exec .." statements in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDOUT and STDERR redirection within a script

Hello all, I have a for loop executing in a script that I want to redirect STDOUT to screen and to file, while directing STDERR to the bit bucket. Here is the general sentax of what I'm doing: for i in thingy do some_command ${i} done 1>&1 | tee ${LOGFILE} 2> /dev/null What I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stdout, stderr redirection

Hi all, can someone help me with the next redirection? i want to redirect the stdout+stderr of a command to the same file (this i can do by prog &> file) but in addition i want to redirect only the stderr to a different file. how can i do this please? (in BASH) thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection in script not working

I need to count the number of lines in a .txt file and put it in a variable. I am using the following code #!/bin/bash count = $(wc -l "some file.txt" | awk '{print$1}') echo $count It is giving the following error. line3: count: command not foundWhat am I doing wrong here? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haritha.gorijav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin script log redirection not working well

I have a simple script which will send a curl request and redirect the output to a log file. for i in {1..20} do curl google.com -is >>log.log & echo "request # $i" >> log.log doneAfter it completes the execution, if I run the following command I should see 20 lines because I am printing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

>& redirection not working within csh script

I'm having a strange problem with basic >& output redirection to a simple log file in csh. When I run this particular output redirection on the command line, it works, but then when I run the same output redirection command >& in my c shell script, I get a blank log file. Nothing is output to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: silencio
5 Replies
DtMsgLogOpenFile(library call)											    DtMsgLogOpenFile(library call)

NAME
DtMsgLogOpenFile -- opens a log file SYNOPSIS
#include <Dt/MsgLog.h> FILE* DtMsgLogOpenFile( const char* type, char** filename_return); DESCRIPTION
The DtMsgLogOpenFile function calls fopen to open a log file with type open mode. If fopen opens a log file successfully and returns a non- NULL filename_return, DtMsgLogOpenFile calls malloc to allocate space for filename_return. DtMsgLogOpenFile then copies the log file name to filename_return. The caller must use the free function to release the space allocated for filename_return, if it is not NULL. The caller must also close the file pointer returned by DtMsgLogOpenFile. Use caution in doing this because stderr may be returned. For a description of the algorithm used to determine the log file to open, see DtMsgLogMessage(3). Note that if a log file cannot be opened, filename_return will be set to NULL. ARGUMENTS
type Specifies the file open flag. See fopen(3) for more information. filename_return Specifies the variable to receive the returned log file name. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. RESOURCES
None. ACTIONS
/MESSAGES None. ERRORS
/WARNINGS None. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment opens the log file, logs the log file name, closes the file, and frees the space allocated for the file name. char * log_file; FILE * fp = DtMsgLogOpenFile ("a+", &log_file); if (log_file) { DtMsgLogMessage (argv[0], DtMsgLogInformation, "The log file name is: %s", log_file); free (log_file); } if (fp && fp != stderr) fclose (fp); RETURN VALUE
If DtMsgLogMessage completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the opened log file. If it cannot open a log file, it returns stderr. FILES
None. SEE ALSO
DtMsgLogMessage(3), DtMsgLogSetHandler(3) DtMsgLogOpenFile(library call)