Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX /var partition full need help Post 302601520 by Shirishlnx on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 10:38:01 PM
Old 02-23-2012
Methyl , Thanks for this usefull info about du cmd .

Can I do any thing with my /var/adm/sw dir as near about 2.5 GB utilization by this ..
was wondering if can move it to /usr and create a symlink over here as below
Code:

/var/adm/sw   -->>  /usr/backup-var/sw 

or with any of below dirs ..
/var/ios
/var/stm
/var/vx

Which is less critical as per OS term ..am not aware ..

--Shirish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

i-node full on /var

Can anyone tell me how would I troubleshoot when /var becomes full with inodes? This is on HP11.11 system. Where used is 92%, ifree is 1891 iuse is 88%. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Partition?

Hi Everyone, I think I've filled up one of the partitions on my drive. I suspect that one of the applications I've been running has been spitting out junk files to this partition - most of which can be deleted. The problem is that I have no idea how to go look at what's on that partition and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Choppy
2 Replies

3. AIX

/var 100% full

What to do if /var filesystem in Aix is completely full ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkhan
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

partition out /var

Hi If You were the systems administrator of a mail server that services approximately 3,000 users. 2,000 users access their email via a POP-3 service, while the remaining 1,000 users access their email via a Unix mail reader. Recently users have complained about speed of disk access, so a new 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: semaphore
1 Replies

5. BSD

Moving /var partition to USB stick

I am currently running DesktopBSD as a live-CD and need to have a large /var partition because it is currently too small. I have a USB stick which is BSD formatted, and would like to have the /var partition moved over to it. How can this be done? Could I for instance use a symlink? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figaro
1 Replies

6. AIX

/var filesystem is full

Hi, Is there a way to clear the temp files from /var/tmp? Is root access required to delete the files? Thanks, Narayan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

7. AIX

/var/spool/squeue gets full frequently

hi, im new in aix administration.. months ago, I received mails, everytime a cron was executed. but now, I don't receive these mails.. and the /var/spool/squeue, gets full frequently. i'd like to know more information about this, what can i do?? sendmail is up, because, I executed ps -ef |grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdeivis
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Install with /var in separate partition - Zfs / 10

This is my first time working with ZFS on Solaris 10. I am trying to set up /var in a separate partition from /. During the installation, I came across the ZFS settings where I selected disks 0 and 1 to be mirrored with ZFS. Next was the option to have /var and / on separate datasets. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 6L71
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can partition out /var with these two separate 10 gigabyte disks?

In my company ,there is a mail server that services approximately 3,000 users. 2,000 users access their email via a POP-3 service, while the remaining 1,000 users access their email via a Unix mail reader. Recently users have complained about speed of disk access, so a new 10 gigabyte disk has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/audit full

Hi, I have Solaris-10 (having multiple non global zones running on it). Its /var is getting full to 100% and I can see, there are files getting added to /var/audit. There are large in number, so even if I clearing them, it is filling /var. In past 24 hours, there are 53000 files are added. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies
PARTITION(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      PARTITION(8)

NAME
partition - make a partition table SYNOPSIS
partition [-mf] device [type:]size[+*] ... DESCRIPTION
Partition makes a partition table on device using the types and sizes given. It may be used in combination with repartition(8) for auto- matic installation of Minix. You may give up to four type:size[+*] specifications for the partitions. You may also specify holes before, between, and after the parti- tions. A hole differs from a partition specification by not having a type. The first hole is by default 1 sector to make space for the primary bootstrap and the partition table. The other holes are 0. The type field is the type of the partitition in hexadecimal. The size field is the partition's size in sectors. The + or * may option- ally be added to indicate that the partition must be expanded to contain any leftover space on the device or to mark the partition active. Partitions are padded out to cylinder boundaries, except for the first one, it starts on track 1. Some operating systems care about this. Minix and MS-DOS do not. OPTIONS
-m Minix only, no need to pad partitions. This is the default for subpartition tables. -f Force making a partition table even if the device is too small. EXAMPLE
partition /dev/hd0 01:16384 81:40000 81:2880* 06:20000+ Partitions disk 0 into an 8 Mb DOS partition, 20 Mb Minix /usr, 1.44 Mb Minix / (active), and a DOS partition of at least 10 Mb at the end of the disk. (06:0+ would have been ok too, it's just a sanity check.) SEE ALSO
hd(4), part(8), repartition(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) PARTITION(8)