Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in understanding awk expression Post 302601428 by Corona688 on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 04:01:36 PM
Old 02-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_maffy
Hi Corona,

Thanks for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to change this code to replace the % to POINT only for the particular in specific the 3rd occurrence and come out immediately without replacing the other entries in the same file.

Thanks a lot in advance Smilie

Arun
I don't perfectly understand what you want. Could you show an example of the input you have, and an example of the output you want?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on understanding the Shell and AWK scripts

Hello Friends, I am new to the scripting & have to analyze bunch of regular production scripts. It has .ksh which calls on the .awk script having many functions I need to understand and debug the scripts ASAP Can anybody please let me know as how can I debug, I want to see the flow of code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amberj123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Awk and Cat

Hi Guys, I was recently come across some code to hopefully learn a little bit about putting Shell commands into PHP application to run on a Linux server. However, I don't understand the command AT ALL... and was wondering if anyone can interpret it: cat userIDs.dat | awk '{s=s+1; if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jordRiot
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk inside Awk expression

Hi, It can be used awk inside other Awk?. I need to get another text processing while other text process. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding part of an awk script

Hi I have an awk script running in ksh in which a section of code is picking out the datetime as follows: dia=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,9,2)}'` mes=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,6,2)}'` ano=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n",... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajju
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

understanding awk in this script

i am analyzing a query written by another developer ,need to understand part of script am looking at a code ..and it converts comma files to pipe delimited and also takes away quotes from any columns, source field format: 2510,"Debbie",NewYork changes to target: 2510|Debbie|NewYork ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolrock
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding / Modifying AWK command

Hey all, So I have an AWK command here awk '{if(FNR==NR) {arr++;next} if($0 in arr) { arr--; if (arr == 0) delete arr;next}{print $0 >"list2output.csv"}} END {for(i in arr){print i >"list1output.csv"}}' list1 list2 (refer to image for a more readable format) This code was submitted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Understanding awk if ( F ) syntax -

Hi Experts, I was looking at the below link, for finding words next to it, And unable to understand this syntax: Can any one please explain , what is meaning of this code: if ( F ) s = s ? s OFS $i : $i from:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding awk

I found this on an awk site and would like to know what it does: /CARS/{x="";next} {if(x)print x;x=$0} END{if(x)print x}' Does it mean if it finds the word cars it skips that line and then prints the next one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Need Help in Understanding a command

Hello I am working on a Change request and Stuck at a point. The below awk command is used in the function. float_test ( ) { echo | awk 'END { exit ( !( '"$1"')); }' } I understand that awk 'END' is used to add one line at the end and exit is used to end the script with an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding awk 'expansion'

Heyas Recently i wanted to help someone with an awk script, but the end-script didnt work as expected. He wanted, if HOME was empty, to get the HOME of the current USER from /etc/passwd. At first i tried hardcoded with root: awk -F: '/^root/ {print $6}' /etc/passwd As that worked, i've... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)