Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash string manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash string manipulation Post 302601354 by withanh on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 12:24:28 PM
Old 02-23-2012
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Your current sh solution is as efficient as it gets. I would just stick with it.
Thanks alister, glad to know it's a good way to achieve my goal. I'm pretty new (i.e. a couple of days) to bash scripting so I'm on a huge learning curve right now :-)

h

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash file manipulation help

Hello, I'm writing a bash script and I have a question. Here's what I'm doing: I have a file called inv.dat which contains the following: B102:Action Figure - Teacher:79 B103:Bike - Purple:23 B104:Baseball:25 B105:Cricket Bat:15 B101:Action Figure - Fireman:15 B100:Flame-Thrower:25 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

Hi all, see i have a script that takes few arguments. first one is command we do on file, next is file (mostly txt file with lot of data) third is destination where we do something with data in file. Since im new in scripting, and im learning as i go, i need some hint how to manipulate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajemrunner
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string variable manipulation

In a bash script I've set a variable that is the directory name of where an executable lives. the_dir=`dirname $which myscript` which equates to something like "/path/to/dir/bin" I need to cut that down to remove the "bin" so I now have "/path/to/dir/". This sounds easy but as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Witty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash, help with stdout manipulation.

Hey all, Im kind of lost on how to do what I want so I figured I would ask. I want to pipe STDOUT of an app to a log file, but I want to prepend each line of that output with the date and time. Im drawing a complete blank on how to do this?? Any ideas? i.e. output is currently this:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK manipulation in bash script

EDIT: This has been SOLVED. Thanks! Greetings everyone, I've posted a few threads with some quick help questions, and this is another one of those. I can't post enough gratitude for those much more knowledgeable than myself who are willing to give good advice for my minor issues. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eblue562
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

string manipulation in bash shell

Hi All, I am using a bash shell and want to the following thing. A process sends the following string to my script BACKUP_FAIL_REASON="Failed - Application Dump CDMACA-0:grep: /opt/nortel/ca/data/1245184/sd00/image1/S110907070708HIS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash string manipulation

Hello guys, here is my problem: I got a shell script which is called by an external piece of software, the external software is not under my control. The software passes data as an argument to my script like ./bla.sh 'service;1234567890;ok;hostname;some text here' I need to pass the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoogie
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash array manipulation

seeking assistance on comparing two arrays using bash: array1=(disk1, disk2, disk3, disk5, disk7, vol1, vol2, vol3, vol4, vol5) array2=(disk2, disk5 vol2, vol4 ) 1) if two arrays have same elements; EXIT else populate array3 & array4 with elements that are different between array1 & array2 as:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - file manipulation

I need to change a file like this: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com John Smith;http://www.profile2.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile3.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile4.com Into: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com;http://www.profile2.com Frank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)