Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error with expr - "expr: syntax error" Post 302601320 by jagari on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 10:56:12 AM
Old 02-23-2012
Hi Methyl,

Thanks, you identified the right point.
The problem was with -
Code:

tot_rec_count=`wc -l ${common_path_in}/$i/*.csv | cut -f1 -d' '`

It worked correctly with $filename as you suggested.
Then I've modified that portion as below -
Code:

ls -1 ${common_path_in}/$i/*.csv | xargs -n1 basename | while read filename
        do
            echo "${filename}"
            tot_rec_count=`wc -l "${common_path_in}/$i/${filename}" | cut -f1 -d' '`

It's now working properly.

But I've few doubts, would be great if you could answer -
1. The usage of curly braces {} and " " in displaying variable value - when we use which one?
2. use of back quote in value assignment to a variable and with expr command. For eg, the way I'm assigning tot_rec_count.

Thanks,
Jagari

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: syntax error. why?

i want to get a substring from a string and used such shell script: var_year=`expr substr "07132006" 5 4` echo $var_year but i got such error message: expr: syntax error. why? Note: Kshell used on solaris 8. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why "expr "${REPLY}" : '\([1-9][[:digit:]]*\)" can figure out whether it is a digit?

I found below script to check whether the variable is a digit in ksh. ############################ #!/bin/ksh REPLY="3f" if ]*\)'` != ${REPLY} && "${REPLY}" != "0" ]] then print "is digit\n" else print "not digit\n" fi ############################ Although it works fine, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"syntax error at line 21 :'done' unexpected." error message"

I am trying to run the script bellow but its given me "syntax error at line 20 :'done' unexpected." error message" can someone check to see if the script is ok? and correct me pls. Today is my first day with scripting. Gurus should pls help out #!/bin/ksh # Purpose: Check to see if file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HowTo: reg expr doing grep "timestamp>$DesiredTime" logfile ?

I know I asked a similar question but I want to know if there is a regular expression existing that with a korn shell cmd, finds any timestamp data records in a file where it is greater then a timestamp in a shell variable ? something like : grep all records where it has a timestamp >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert a=(b/100)*a into a "expr" expression

Hi Guys, THis is the first time am using the expr expression. I like to know how to write the expression a=(b\100)*a. THis works fine if it gives without a bracket. the bracket should be present as i wanted to define the order of execution. Help me out. Thanks for your help in advance.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr - Syntax error

hello to everyone, i am writing a shell script in unix and i use the following command: lnum= cut -f 1 -d : aa passline=`expr $lnum + 1` echo "$passline" with the following command i get the value that is stored in the first field of the file "aa" and i save it in the variable "lnum". i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr: syntax error

Hi All, This is a piece of code from one of my scripts: t1=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c1-5` t2=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $5}' | cut -c1-5` #t1=23:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to lclear "expr: syntax error" eventhough everything looks fine?

Hi All, As per my knowledge in unix, my code looks fine. But still I am getting error (expr:syntax error). Please help me to resolve this error. Script : PRE_LBNO=0 PRE_DATE=0 TOT_PAY=0 TOT_REM=0 TOTAL=1 for Record_Type in `cut -c 1 Inputt.dat` do if ; then CURR_LBNO=` cut -c... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathanandhini
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting out "expr" creates weird behavior

This really puzzles me. The following code gives me the error 'expr: syntax error' when I try to do multi-line comment using here document <<EOF echo "Sum is: `expr $1 + $2`" EOF Even if I explicitly comment out the line containing the expr using "#", the error message would still exist... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)