Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Configure $PATH in /.bash_profile or /etc/paths? Post 302601184 by Alexander4444 on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 04:43:09 AM
Old 02-23-2012
Configure $PATH in /.bash_profile or /etc/paths?

Hi - I am trying to include the MSQ.exe that I have downloaded for the sake of learning. My current /.bash_profile file reads:

PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:$PATH
export PATH

-----------------------------------

interestingly, another file, /etc/paths reads:

/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/bin

-----------------------------------

at the prompt, if I$ echo $PATH I get

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

almost a combination of the two minus the /usr/X11/bin.

What must I do to include all of the $PATH variable into either /.bash_profile or /etc/paths? Which one do I put it in? Which ever one it is, that is where I will put the path the the MSQ.exe file.

Lastly, what is telling the OS where to find the $PATH variable in the first place? It seems like there must be some instruction that is causing the OS to look in those two different places.

---------- Post updated at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:41 AM ----------

Thanks for any and all help on this!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing $PATH in .bash_profile

Hello, I'm trying to add my bin directory to my path by editing the .bash_profile. I'm adding the following: PATH=$HOME/bin But then when I type in "echo $PATH" my bin directory is not added. Do I need to do something to make this take affect or am I going about this wrong. :confused: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atama
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unrecognized Path in .bash_profile

Dear experts, I have installed Ruby in the following directory: $ pwd /home/ewijaya/.ruby $ ls bin lib share And I have also stated the PATH in my bash_profile like this: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then . ~/.bashrc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monkfan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to add new paths to $PATH

Hi all, I downloaded a tarball of coreutils .... extracted only to find out that i had to build it... But when i executed ./configure, this is what i got checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11 checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11 configure: autobuild project... GNU... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_profile problem

Hi Guys, I modified my .bash_profile script , and tried to change the prompt. Following is the line of code in my .bash_profile script. export PS1=" \W " But I get the output as: \W This appears to be my prompt now. Any idea what should be done.. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Unavailable/Slow Network Paths in $PATH

At work, I'm in a Solaris environment working with csh, and $PATH is populated with anywhere between 10 and 20 entries. Last week, every command I issued (even "ls") took several seconds, if not an entire minute, to run. Once I moved "/home/sybase/bin" to the end of $PATH, certain commands... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheong87
2 Replies

6. Solaris

configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH

When i configure apache(2.2.15) on solaris-8 server it producing following error <configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH configure failed for srclib/apr > please help me any to fix this error. :confused: ---------- Post updated at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous update was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash_profile or .profile

Hi, happy new year. on AIX 6.1 , for user oracle , there are two files : bash_profile and .profile I do not know which one is executed when login ? How to know , More over in both of them we have : in .profile : ORACLE_HOME=/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Removing Dead Paths And Unusable Path Solaris 9

Hi, One of our Solaris servers was peviously zoned and connected to 2 seperate arrays, one HP and the other EMC. The server is now only connected to the EMC. The sever has x2 single port HBA's. When running cfgadm I see the following: root@qwicprod /dev/rdsk]# cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile question

Hello everyone, I'm trying to set my .bash_profile to change my primary prompt from this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:~>to this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:/home/rcarvall> Here's what my .bash_profile looks like right now: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies

10. Programming

Library/header path for ./configure

Hello, I am always confused about adding library path for ./configure when compiling software under Linux Debian based OS. For example the README of the software tells --with-boost=PATH specify directory for the boost header files --with-mpi=PATH specify prefix directory for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-PATH(1) 						   systemd-path 						   SYSTEMD-PATH(1)

NAME
systemd-path - List and query system and user paths SYNOPSIS
systemd-path [OPTIONS...] [NAME...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-path may be used to query system and user paths. The tool makes many of the paths described in file-hierarchy(7) available for querying. When invoked without arguments, a list of known paths and their current values is shown. When at least one argument is passed, the path with this name is queried and its value shown. The variables whose name begins with "search-" do not refer to individual paths, but instead to a list of colon-separated search paths, in their order of precedence. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --suffix= The printed paths are suffixed by the specified string. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), file-hierarchy(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-PATH(1)