Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem removing a word from a file in vi Post 302600999 by DGPickett on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 04:12:15 PM
Old 02-22-2012
Hope this is not homework; there are rules for that!

Code:
:1,$s/\<benefit\>//g
:1,$s/.\{6\}$//

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

removing first bit from the word

Hello, I have a code like this : pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName = realloc(pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, (usLen+strlen(CountryName)+4)); memset(pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, 0, (usLen+strlen(CountryName)+4)); strncpy((char *)pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, CityName, strlen(CityName)) strcat(pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, ",");... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a specific word from a created list

I am working on a script that prompts a user name and creates a list in a username.dat file. Furthermore, I have created a sorted_username.dat file. My question is this: My script uses the word "finished" != finished to break the while loop. How can I avoid having the word "finished" show up in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erest8
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi - removing last word

Hi All, I want to remove last word from a line using Vi. Do we have any vi command for that. line : ss dd ff gg i have to run some vi command which can delete gg from the line Thanks, Ravi Sadani (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude specific word from input file problem asking...

Hi, Below is my input file and desired output file: Input file: >header_N_1 ASFDGDGNDGEGWETWRYWTETWNETOWETWETWNETTETNWET . . Desired output file: >header_N_1 ASFDGDGDGEGWETWRYWTETWETOWETWETWETTETWET . . From the input file, I just hope to exclude the 'N' word from its content... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing the 1st character of the word in perl

Hi All, In one of the sections in my perl script, I need to remove the 1st character of a word and store in an array.The details are , The original script was , if ( ! defined $inq{$node}{"dmx"} ) { print "INFO: Collecting inq disk information for DMX array on $node.\n"; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash.pa
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a word in a multiple file starting at the dot extension

hi I would like to ask if someone knows a command or a script on how to rename a multiple file in the directory starting at the end of the filename or at the .extension( i would like to remove the last 11 character before the extension) for example Below is the result of my command ls inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing newlines after a certain word.

Hello! This is my first post here. I have a file with text like: A</title> B C</title> D I need to format it to: AB CD I am trying to use sed: sed 's/<//title>\n/ /g' file > newfile to delete </title> and the newline character, but the file is unchanged because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaytonCPS
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Performance problem with removing duplicates in a huge file (50+ GB)

I'm trying to remove duplicate data from an input file with unsorted data which is of size >50GB and write the unique records to a new file. I'm trying and already tried out a variety of options posted in similar threads/forums. But no luck so far.. Any suggestions please ? Thanks !! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannan K
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing hyphen from beginning and end of a word only.

It is very simple to remove a hyphen from a word anywhere in that word using a simple sed command (sed -i 's/-//g' filename), but I am not able to figure out how to do this: For example, apple -orange tree pipe- banana-shake dupe- What my output should look like: apple orange tree... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies
COOKIETOOL(6)							   Games Manual 						     COOKIETOOL(6)

NAME
cookietool - program to operate cookie (fortune) database SYNOPSIS
cookietool [options] <database> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the cookietool command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has some plaintext documentation, see below. cookietool is a program that should be used to sort, clear and maintain cookie database in standard fortune(6) format, i.e. list of cookies delimited with line containing a single percent ('%') char. cookietool can now understand another formats and convert cookie database between them. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the documentation in /usr/share/doc/cookietool directory [nothing] Shows summary of options. -c case sensitive comparisons. -d[0-3] how fussy about word delimiters? (default: 2) -b delete cookies that are 'abbreviations' of another, too. -p passive, don't delete anything. -s[l|w|<sep>|s] sort cookies; looking after last line only; looking after last word only; starting after the last <sep>, e.g. '-s--'; by size. -a treat 'abbreviations' as doubles (i.e. delete them from the database, too). -f[0-3] input file format - -f3: cookies are separated by '%%' lines; -f2: cookies are separated by '%' lines (DEFAULT); -f1: each line is a cookie; -f0: each word is a cookie. -F[0-3] force output in a different file format, see -f. -o overwrite directly without temporary file. CAUTION NEEDED. SEE ALSO
cdbdiff(6), cdbsplit(6) BUGS
None known. AUTHOR
Upstream author and Aminet cookietool.lha package with AmigaOS binaries uploader is Wilhelm Noeker, <wnoeker@t-online.de>. Unix manpages (including this one) and makefile are maintained by Miros/law L. Baran <baran@debian.org>. This manual page uses many excerpts from the original README file. May 19, 2001 COOKIETOOL(6)