Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace line and field using SED and/or AWK or some other suggestion Post 302600325 by thibodc on Monday 20th of February 2012 09:04:56 PM
Old 02-20-2012
Replace line and field using SED and/or AWK or some other suggestion

QUESTION 1:
How do you replace a specific line (i.e. line 4) with a new user defined line (i.e. the contents of SAMS’s name, history, math and English grades have been set already). I have been attempting to use SED (FYI: I don’t have GNU SED) or AWK, but haven’t had any luck. FYI: I am using SOLARIS 10 as an OS. See example below. FYI: KEEP IN MIND FOR ALL EXAMPLES I WAS UNABLE TO PROPERLY ALIGN NAME, HISTORY, MATH AND ENGLISH WITH THERE CORRESPONDING VALUES USING THIS THREAD WORD PROCESSOR .
Below is the starting file.

NAME: HISTORY: MATH: ENGLISH:
ROB A B A
DAN A C B
JOHN C B A

For example if John has left the class and SAM has joined and his grades are all A's.
Resulting file (BOLD TEXT IS WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE):

ROB A B A
DAN A C B
SAM A A A

Question 2:
Does anyone know how to replace a specific field (i.e. line 2, field 2)? I would like to do the replacement this generically (line 2, field 2). So, for example I don’t want to use grep on ROB. Again, I do not have GNU SED. See example below.
Below is the starting file.

ROB A A A
DAN A A A
JOHN A A A

Resulting file (BOLD TEXT IS WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE):

ROB A B A
DAN A A A
JOHN A A A

Last edited by methyl; 02-20-2012 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Clearly homework and should have been posted in the homework forum

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace password field using ed/sed

I need to edit the password file to change the password field to *LK* for a specified account (abctest) like: abctest:*LK*:135:20::/home/abctest:/sbin/sh Can anyone help me do this using ed or sed? Thanks a lot! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munch
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace part of a line with sed/awk

Hello I have a document and in this document I have several occurrence of "VAR == xxxxxxx" and xxxxx can be anything. I don't know what it is. I want to replace the 'xxxxx's with something I know. What I know however, is the line numbers of the VAR =='s in the file. How can I replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

howto replace field in line

Hi all, I'm writing a script in bash where i'm reading line by line into variable, and the i want to replace the second filed in the line with another number, for example if the line looks like this: 10 20 30 40 50 it should look like this: 10 90 30 40 50 and put the new result inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morfix
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line.

I have an input like following. *DEFINE_CURVE_TITLE Force for tool binder $# lcid sidr sfa sfo offa offo dattyp 3 0 1 .000000 125.00000 0.000 0.000 0 $# a1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line containing a string

hi experts , I have an input like following. R sfst 1000.0000 $ new time step for mass scaled calculation R dt2ms -4.000E-7 $ friction value for blank R mue ... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line from another file containing a string

Hi experts, In my text file I have the following alot of lines like below. input.k is as follows. 2684717 -194.7050476 64.2345581 150.6500092 0 0 2684718 -213.1575623 62.7032242 150.6500092 0 0 *INCLUDE $# filename... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first field of a line with previous filed of the line

Hi Everyone, I have a file as below: IM2345638,sherfvf,usha,30 IM384940374,deiufbd,usha,30 IM323763822,cdejdkdnbds,theju,15 0,dhejdncbfd,us,20 IM398202038,dhekjdkdld,tj,30 0,foifsjd,u2,40 The output i need is as below IM2345638,sherfvf,usha,30... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies
mfontset_lookup(3m17n)						 The m17n Library					    mfontset_lookup(3m17n)

NAME
mfontset_lookup - Lookup a fontset. SYNOPSIS
MPlist * mfontset_lookup (MFontset * fontset, MSymbol script, MSymbol language, MSymbol charset) DESCRIPTION
Lookup a fontset. The mfontset_lookup() function lookups fontset and returns a plist that describes the contents of fontset corresponding to the specified script, language, and charset. If script is Mt, keys of the returned plist are script name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. If script is a script name symbol, the returned plist is decided by language. o If language is Mt, keys of the plist are language name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. A key may be Mt which means some fallback fonts are specified for the script. o If language is a language name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the specified script and language. FONT-GROUP is a plist whose keys are FLT (FontLayoutTable) name symbols (Mt if no FLT is associated with the font) and values are pointers to MFont. o If language is Mnil, the plist is fallback FONT-GROUP for the script. If script is Mnil, the returned plist is decided as below. o If charset is Mt, keys of the returned plist are charset name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. o If charset is a charset name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the charset. o If charset is Mnil, the plist is a fallback FONT-GROUP. RETURN VALUE
It returns a plist describing the contents of a fontset. The plist should be freed by m17n_object_unref(). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mfontset_lookup(3m17n)