Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ? Post 302600276 by methyl on Monday 20th of February 2012 03:19:46 PM
Old 02-20-2012
@bsrepellant
No problem at all with all of us working on this. If we ever manage to see a clean sample of the input data format we can run a test.
If the sample output posted is real (i.e. unexpanded variables), then there is something mega wrong with this shell.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in ksh

I'm new to unix scripting. How would I go about pulling the first 3 characters from a variable in ksh and storing in another variable? Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve6368
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtracting variables in ksh

hi all, how do i subract variables in shell ?? am trying to space out the headers and the output generated by the shell so they all line up : currently the output is like this : servers : users server1 : 10 latestServer : 50 so i thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to concatenate values of two variables with an underscore(_) in between

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. I have two variables a and b a=val1 b=val2 could anyone kindly post the shell script to concatenate the values of variable a and b with an underscore(_) in between? The final output should be val1_val2. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve NL in Ksh variables?

I'm trying to set a variable to the output of a command. This is what the comand output to the display looks like: />hciconndump -v TOsiu Dump of connection(s): TOsiu ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Process: A60Tsiu Connection: TOsiu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two variables in ksh

I can't believe I can't figure this out... given this code: CARS_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file1 | awk '{print $1}' ` FMSA_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file2 | awk '{print $1}' ` The value of each of the above variables is: CARS = a b c d e f g FMSA = a b c q r s I want to declare a third... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables problem

Hello, I have a tricky problem: I have a $file with a variable number of occurrences of "ORA-" (in this case two) .......... EXP-00008: ORACLE error 3113 encountered ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1403 encountered ORA-01403: no data found... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurentiu
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - for loop with variables

Hi, I 'm trying to send an e-mail for every different line in the .txt for i in {1..$variable} do sed -n "/$i$/p" text.txt done I have two problems about this. First one is that for loop doesn't work and the second one is that i cant get the output of sed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables

I need to know how to concatenate variables in Debian. I am making a interactive script where it ask the user for info to add a user I pull the first letter from the first middle and last name into individual variables now i want to put them all in one variable so i can put it into useradd command ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HackerSeabass
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating variables in KSH

Hi Friends , I want to know how to format the output for the following: i searched in the forum and couldnt get the exact requirement. Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two variables and form the third variable

Hi Guys, I was scratching my head for this for half a day... finally not successful :confused: Following is the problem I have a variable $ var1=123 $ var2-234 $ var3=345 and another Variable $ i=1 Now i wanted to save these into a Variable as shown below for i in 1 2 3 do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramprabhum
5 Replies
esdsample(1)							   User Commands						      esdsample(1)

NAME
esdsample - play a sample SYNOPSIS
esdsample [-s hostname:port] [-b] [-d] [-e] [-h] [-m] [-r freq] samplename DESCRIPTION
The esdsample utility plays a sample using the Enlighted Sound Daemon (esd). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s hostname:portContact the esd server on hostname at port. -b Specify that the output should be in 8-bit format. By default, the output is in 16-bit format. -d Play the sample from file as raw data. The default behavior is to read the data from a sound file (.wav, .au, and so on). If this option is chosen, samplename is the name of a file. -e Play the sample from the esd cache. If this option is chosen, samplename is the name of the sample in the cache. -h Display help text, and exit. -m Specify that the output should be in mono format. By default, the output is in stereo format. -r freq Specify that the output rate should be set to freq. By default, the output rate is set to 44.1 kHz. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: samplename The name of the sample to be played. If the -e option is used, samplename is the esd cache name. Otherwise, samplename is a filename. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Playing a sample from a file example% esdsample generic.wav Example 2: Playing a sample from the esd cache example% esdsample -e esdctl:generic.wav (where esdctl:generic.wav is the cache name) EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/esdsample Executable for Enlightened Sound Daemon sound sampler. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-audio | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
esdcat(1), esdmon(1), esdplay(1), esdrec(1), esdctl(1), esd-config(1), libesd(3) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 8 Jan 2003 esdsample(1)