Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract tty from ps command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract tty from ps command Post 302600001 by agama on Sunday 19th of February 2012 10:12:16 PM
Old 02-19-2012
You could try:

Code:
ps | grep "/-ksh" | tail -1 | awk '{print $2}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

extract command

hey i want to extract an argument from double qoutes, eg: when the user enters: prompt "mile" i need to extract everything within the double quotes, in my case, mile, and save it to a string. feedback/code would be appreciated thanks mile1982 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract first file only from ls command

I need help in extracting first file only from an ls command and store it in a local variable I thought using awk we could build something - not very familiar how to do it Something like ls -t $search_string and store the resultant first file alone into a local variable ( as my result... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prekida
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract time and host IP from 'who' command?

I have been slowly working towards getting a shell window in Cygwin (and/or Gnome and/or KDE) to start up and display the last time it was opened (or sourced) similarly to how the OS X Terminal does so. As close as I've been able to get so far is the 'who' command, but I can't seem to puzzle out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tty command failing

We have script like this in the .bash_profile.. #-# determine if session is interactive or in background if ]; then while true; do read -p "Do you wish to load profile yes or no?" yn case $yn in * ) source /opt/oracle/.profile; break;; * ) break;; *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr command to extract words

how to use expr command to retrieve all the words before the equal sign "=" with shell script (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 76455
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk command to extract messages

Need expert's opinion urgently. I have a file which contains messages. A message is separated by $ in this file. In each message we need to get string aftr :20: and send it to an output file. If :20: is not prsent in a message then we need to search for :20C: and send the corresponding string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Opamps123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a field from ls-l command and display?

So I want to put a line at the end of my script which greps for keywords from syslog.log that outputs the following after it is done: "This file was last modified on (thisdate)" I know I can use the following to get the date: rtidsvb(izivanov):/home/izivanov> ll /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need extract command

Hi, I am having an file 20110909.tar.gz (path-home/user01/archive/20110909.tar.gz ), contains some log files some csv files I want to extract that files . if i run "ls" command then their should be display all the log files and csv files on the same path. please help me to know the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
TTYSNOOP(8)                                                 BSD System Manager's Manual                                                TTYSNOOP(8)

NAME
ttysnoop -- snoop on a user's tty SYNOPSIS
ttysnoop [pty] ttysnoops DESCRIPTION
The ttysnoop / ttysnoops client-server combo can be used to snoop (watch) on a user's login tty. The server (ttysnoops) is usually started by getty(8) or telnetd(8) and reads the file /etc/snooptab to find out which tty's should be cloned and which programs to run on them (usu- ally /bin/login). A tty may be snooped through a pre-determined (ie. fixed) device, or through a dynamically allocated pseudo-tty (pty). This is also specified in the /etc/snooptab file. To connect to the pty, the client ttysnoop should be used. The available pseudo terminals pty are present as sockets in the directory /var/spool/ttysnoop/. Format of /etc/snooptab The /etc/snooptab file may contain comment lines (starting with a '#'), empty lines, or entries for tty's that should be snooped upon. The format of such an entry is as follows: tty snoop-device type program where tty is the leaf-name of the tty that should be snooped upon (eg. ttyS2, not /dev/ttyS2) OR the wildcard '*', which matches ANY tty. snoop-device is the device through which tty should be snooped (eg. /dev/tty8) OR the literal constant "socket". The latter is used to tell ttysnoops that the snoop-device will be a dynamically allocated pty. type specifies the type of program that should be run, currently recog- nized types are "init", "user" and "login" although the former two aren't really needed. Finally, program is the full pathname to the program to run when ttysnoops has cloned tty onto snoop-device. EXAMPLE
The following example /etc/snooptab file should illustrate the typical use of ttysnoop / ttysnoops: # # example /etc/snooptab # ttyS0 /dev/tty7 login /bin/login ttyS1 /dev/tty8 login /bin/login # # the wildcard tty should always be the last one in the file # * socket login /bin/login # # example end # With the above example, whenever a user logs in on /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, either tty will be snooped through /dev/tty7 or /dev/tty8 respectively. Any other tty's will be snooped through a pty that will be allocated at the time of login. The system-administrator can then run ttysnoop pty to snoop through the pty. Note that it is up to the system-administrator to setup getty and/or telnetd so that they execute ttysnoops instead of /bin/login. SEE ALSO
getty(8), telnetd(8) FILES
/etc/snooptab BUGS
The program is unable to do any terminal control-code translations for the original tty and the snoop-device. I doubt it will ever do this. AUTHOR
Carl Declerck, carl@miskatonic.inbe.net BSD August 8 1994 BSD