Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ping questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ping questions Post 302599982 by Corona688 on Sunday 19th of February 2012 06:27:42 PM
Old 02-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Are you sure that "ping" returns a non-zero exit code when the target does not reply. Tried on HP-UX.
It does on Linux, I can't speak for HP-UX bugs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping -t

I need a script that recieves an IP adress and a number of seconds as arguments. and display a massage if the IP replies or not. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaber87
8 Replies

2. AIX

ping

We can ping out but the return never comes back even to localhost ping localhost PING loopback: (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0 ms it just sits there.... any ideas, any files to check (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can't ping IP

hi , i have problem that i can't ping machine , machine is in running state but i can't access or ping it .. but when i restarts that machine it works fine. can anybody have an idea abou this problem .. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tahir23
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

can't ping by ip

hi, I m trying to ping ip on the network . The machine is started but i can't access and can't ping it .. But when i restarts that machine that works fine..... can anybody have an idea about this problem ?? if then reply .. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tahir23
2 Replies

5. Linux

Not able to ping

Hi All, Need your help one more time. I am trying to ping a linux machine which is not responding to ping. However traceroute can reach the machine and I can log in to it by ssh. I have checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all it is already set as "0". It is not happening in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

PING

I am unable to ping my remote server.My server is unable to ping the same. both are able to ping the gateway. both the ip's are on same network.i use a proxy tunnel on my remote server.Help if any clues. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oslbhavana
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
RDS-PING(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       RDS-PING(1)

NAME
rds-ping -- test reachability of remote node over RDS SYNOPSIS
rds-ping [-c count] [-i interval] [-I local_addr] remote_addr DESCRIPTION
rds-ping is used to test whether a remote node is reachable over RDS. Its interface is designed to operate pretty much the standard ping(8) utility, even though the way it works is pretty different. rds-ping opens several RDS sockets and sends packets to port 0 on the indicated host. This is a special port number to which no socket is bound; instead, the kernel processes incoming packets and responds to them. OPTIONS
The following options are available for use on the command line: -c count Causes rds-ping to exit after sending (and receiving) the specified number of packets. -I address By default, rds-ping will pick the local source address for the RDS socket based on routing information for the destination address (i.e. if packets to the given destination would be routed through interface ib0, then it will use the IP address of ib0 as source address). Using the -I option, you can override this choice. -i timeout By default, rds-ping will wait for one second between sending packets. Use this option to specified a different interval. The timeout value is given in seconds, and can be a floating point number. Optionally, append msec or usec to specify a timeout in milliseconds or microseconds, respectively. Specifying a timeout considerably smaller than the packet round-trip time will produce unexpected results. AUTHORS
rds-ping was written by Olaf Kirch <olaf.kirch@oracle.com>. SEE ALSO
rds(7), rds-info(1), rds-stress(1). BSD
Apr 22, 2008 BSD