Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions How to use windows machine when not in use Post 302599934 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 19th of February 2012 12:15:58 PM
Old 02-19-2012
Do you ever use mstsc.exe to remote into the laptop? If so, it has to be running.

I'm not sure what you mean by good practice. Leaving it on behind a good firewall is a reasonably safe thing to do. If other people can physically get to it when you are not around and it is not password protected, that's bad.

If you are worried about hardware degradation, don't. Unless you are a place where power browns out a lot, or there are power surges. Chances are fairly good that MS will deprecate your OS before you lose siginficant hardware. This has happened to me several times - Windows 95, CE. Now, XP will be down into the junk pile shortly. It came out in late 2001.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Dialing up to a Windows machine

Hello! I have two machines one running Windows XP which is hooked up to my ADSL line and the other is my Linux machine. I want to be able to dial-up to my Windows machine from my Linux one and be able to use the internet. I would like to do this because it would allow me not to have a dial-up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vertigo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Windows machine's IP address from Unix?

I am using windows Xp. From windows I would connect to my IBM AIX unix machine using telnet client. Is there any command available to view the IP address of Windows machine from Unix? (Note that ifconfig will give unix mahcine's IP address currently logged in.) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Best possible communication mechanism between a Solaris machine and a windows machine

hi, I have some windows client machines which require a signal to be sent by a Solaris machine( SunOS 5.6) when ever a particular event occurs on that Solaris machine. What are possible communication mechanisms by which i can do this. the constraints are > the windows machines have to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krsh
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH into a linux machine from a windows machine

I basically want to login into different linux machines( on the same network) from a windows machine. I know i can use ssh <machine name>. But i want to automate this process. I dont want to enter the username and password. Is there any way to do it. Can i make some sort of a batch script for it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
4 Replies

5. Solaris

accessing windows machine

hi , Please tell me how can i access windows machine from solaris OS.how can i share one drive or folder in windows for solaris please give me the step whatever it required thanks to all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do ftp from UNIX to windows machine?

hi, i am using ftp command to transfer files from unix server to windows server using a web interface. there is a shell script which is called by the web page which executes a ftp command which (ftp) tries to connect to the windows machine and asks for username and password. so in order to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Exporting display to windows machine

hello all, I have been googling alot about my problem and finally thought to post a question. server: SunOS 5.1 64bit pn Sun Netra 240 i need to run an application which shows a gui tool but i believe SunOS cant show the GUI so i need to export the display to my system which is running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wonderwall
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Cant ping Linux machine from Windows

Hi I have established LAN with the help of D-Link router. I am having 2 desktops ethernet connection managed by this D-Link router. One PC is with Windows 7 OS Second PC is with Redhat Linux 6.1 Both the PCs now stands connected to internet via this D-Link router. I could ping windows PC... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trying to share a folder between windows machine and VM

I was following the guide I found here for doing this and I reached the step where I added myself to the vboxsf group but I am still getting a permissions denied message when I try to get into the folder: ubuntu12@ubuntu12-VirtualBox: /media$ cd sf_Shared_files/ bash: cd: sf_Shared_files/:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
0 Replies
LAPTOP_MODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LAPTOP_MODE(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode - apply laptop mode settings SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode [ cmd ] [ force ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/laptop_mode command. laptop_mode is a program that applies the settings given in the /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf configuration file. The primary use is to control the laptop mode feature included in Linux kernels with versions 2.6.6 and higher, and 2.4.23 and higher. This feature increases battery life by letting your hard drive spin down. This is achieved by grouping disk write activity into "chunks" that are spaced at larger intervals than they normally would be. In addition to sup- porting the Linux kernel's laptop mode feature, /usr/sbin/laptop_mode also supports various power saving modules which are configured through configuration files in the /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d directory. It is not recommended to call /usr/sbin/laptop_mode directly to start or stop laptop mode, except in hardware event handlers. To apply new configuration settings from laptop-mode.conf, call the laptop-mode service init script with the reload parameter. COMMANDS
Specify force as the second parameter to force laptop_mode to re-apply a state even if the computer is already in that state. These are the values that are allowed for cmd : auto Enable or disable laptop mode based on the current power state. Note that this will not do anything if the laptop-mode service has not been started! status Display a status report about everything that laptop_mode affects. SEE ALSO
laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LAPTOP_MODE(8)