Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash: renaming file issues.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash: renaming file issues. Post 302599859 by josco1982 on Sunday 19th of February 2012 01:09:44 AM
Old 02-19-2012
Thanks Agama for your help, the script works fine now.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for fname in *.mp3; do
    mv -f "$fname" "${fname#*- *}"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files in a bash script

I'm doing a short batch script to compile po files producing output binary mo files. The compilation command is: msgfmt -o file.mo file.po so in order to compile I am appending .mo to the varible in a loop. It goes something like this: for i in `find . -name "*.po"` do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script issues

Hi. The below part of my bash script kicks out the following error message: $ ./extract_eod_report_stats_new.sh 2010-04-23 ./extract_eod_report_stats_new.sh: line 204: syntax error near unexpected token `(' ./extract_eod_report_stats_new.sh: line 204: `TRANSACTIONS_RECEIVED_TOP=`grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter.Lovell
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script issues

So what i am trying to do is write a script that takes in any number of scrambeled words and unscrambles them. I have already addressed the issues of partial matches, exits silently if there are no matches, and finds words regardless of case that they were input. but while trying to get it so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alindner
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Batch renaming insert additional zero into filename

Hi all, Wondering how this could be accomplished........ a directory contains sequentially numbered files from fw01 to fw999. How would I insert an additional zero so that the directory lists these files in a proper manner? (i.e. all double digit files from fw01 to fw99 would become... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: putter1900
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix bash script (mv issues);

Hey guys, I've registered here as I need urgent help. This is assignment for school and as you can see below I've completed the work. I'm simply stuck on one area. :wall: This script takes the first parameter (which is to be the new extension) and each parameter after that is a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cynosure
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Issues (If statement for file copying)

Writing a bash script for use with Geektool, pulls the battery info, and shuffles images around so that an Image geeklet can display the correct expression as the desktop background. (Eventually I intend to make it more intricate, based on more variables, and add more expressions) I'm extremely... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: The_Ardly374
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Case Issues..

Hi, I'm having some trouble with using "case...esac" in Bash. I've googled it and am stuggling to understand the syntax and how to do certain things. Firstly, I want to be able to choose a case based on a variable number For example, I have in my code a place where a user can enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/cron issues

Hi all, I am trying to run a cronjob to push my files to my git repo once a week and output a prompt to a logfile, my script works fine if I invoke it manually but my cronjob wont run for some reason, I have sourced the file, and restarted my Mac to no avail, right now I believe I have the cronjob... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmenfan83
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive File Renaming & Natural Sorting (Bash)

NB! I have already started a thread on this subject on ComputerHope (with the thread title "Recursive File Renaming & Logical Sorting"). However, on ComputerHope they are perhaps more specialized in Windows Command Prompt, and not that much in shell scripts for Bash (I guess). I have a bulk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JewzeyfGhewbelz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in batch renaming files with bash shell script.

I have some 50+ files in the following format : abcd_vish_running_ZEBRA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:23 abcd_vish_running_ZEB-RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:35 abcd_vish_running_ZEB_RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:37 abcd_vish_running_RI-NG_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:42... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies
GETLASTLOGX(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    GETLASTLOGX(3)

NAME
getlastlogx, getutmp, getutmpx, updlastlogx, updwtmpx, utmpxname -- user accounting database functions LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> struct lastlogx * getlastlogx(const char *fname, uid_t uid, struct lastlogx *ll); void getutmp(const struct utmpx *ux, struct utmp *u); void getutmpx(const struct utmp *u, struct utmpx *ux); int updlastlogx(const char *fname, uid_t uid, struct lastlogx *ll); int updwtmpx(const char *file, const struct utmpx *utx); int utmpxname(const char *fname); DESCRIPTION
The getlastlogx() function looks up the entry for the user with user id uid in the lastlogx(5) file given by fname and returns it in ll. If the provided ll is NULL, the necessary space will be allocated by getlastlogx() and should be free()d by the caller. The getutmp() function fills out the entries in the struct utmp u with the data provided in the struct utmpx ux. getutmpx() does the oppo- site, filling out the entries in the struct utmpx ux with the data provided in the struct utmp u, and initializing all the unknown fields to 0. The sole exception is the ut_type field, which will be initialized to USER_PROCESS. The updlastlogx() function tries to update the information for the user with the user id uid in the lastlogx(5) file given by fname with the data supplied in ll. A struct lastlogx is defined like this: struct lastlogx { struct timeval ll_tv; /* time entry was created */ char ll_line[_UTX_LINESIZE]; /* tty name */ char ll_host[_UTX_HOSTSIZE]; /* host name */ struct sockaddr_storage ll_ss; /* address where entry was made from */ }; All the fields should be filled out by the caller. The updwtmpx() function updates the wtmpx(5) file file with the utmpx(5) entry utx. The utmpxname() function sets the default utmpx(5) database file name to fname. RETURN VALUES
getlastlogx() returns the found entry on success, or NULL if it could not open the database, could not find an entry matching uid in there, or could not allocate the necessary space (in case ll was NULL). utmpxname() returns 1 on success, or 0 if the supplied file name was too long or did not end with 'x'. updlastlogx() and updwtmpx() return 0 on success, or -1 in case the database or file respectively could not be opened or the data not written into it. SEE ALSO
endutxent(3), loginx(3), utmpx(5) HISTORY
The functions getutmp(), getutmpx(), updwtmpx(), and utmpxname() first appeared in Solaris. getlastlogx and updlastlogx first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. BSD
August 26, 2003 BSD