Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: login audit bash script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting login audit bash script Post 302599791 by bashily on Saturday 18th of February 2012 01:47:10 PM
Old 02-18-2012
Great! Thanks very much

---------- Post updated at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:57 AM ----------

Well, apparently it doesn't work that way though. I need to get the files from /var/log with .bz2 extension and decompress them. this is where "last" command access and reads the wtmp file to get data when you use "finger" command.
The question is: without sudo or su permission how can I decompress thos bz2 files and put all of them together. because there are plenty of them in /var/log
Thanks.

Last edited by bashily; 02-18-2012 at 06:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for ssh login-

hi. I need a bash script which can login to an other mashin via SSH and then run some commands and then return the result to my mashine. I dont know where to begin, I think first I will need a ssh connection, dont know how to make it, then , do I need a ftp connection between the 2 mashins to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big_pil
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash ssh login script

hello anyone have done ssh login script without "expect" (automatic login from host A / user b to Host B / user b without enter any passwords)? cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modcan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in audit script

Hi, When I run the following script #!/bin/sh email="rc@dll.com" subject="response times are more than a SECOND" rt=`tail audit.log | grep -i operationResponseTime | awk '{print $2}'` if then ### Mail the file to the mailbox mail -s $subject $email <<-end $rt ~.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: openspark
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH ssh login

Ok, there's been a good number of posts about this, but here goes. I want a script to log in to a system via ssh without using keys. This will be used to log in to Cisco IOS devices. I have tried the following, but could not get it to work: SSH login expect shell script to supply username and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mike909
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix bash shell script login

Hi, I am a complete Unix novice and need some help with creating a login shell script. I have created a file with user details i.e. PIN, name etc and require help in recalling the specified details from the file and being prompted for a password on login. Any help would be very much appreciated.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdsrogers
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Login tester Script help!

Hello, first of all, I am a pretty experience c++ programmer, but have never really bothered learning bash scripting at all, so I know conceptually things that can be done in c++, but I'm not too sure about bash. I'm trying to learn Bash, and wanted to start out with a practical application. So I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RSPdev
1 Replies

7. AIX

When AIX audit start, How to set the /audit/stream.out file size ?

Dear All When I start the AIX(6100-06)audit subsystem. the log will save in /audit/stream.out (or /audit/trail), but in default when /audit/stream.out to grow up to 150MB. It will replace the original /audit/stream.out (or /audit/trail). Then the /audit/stream.out become empty and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login PID in sh/bash different

In bourne shell the PID generated for the command "ps" matches my login id PID in the command "who -Hu" but in bash/linux the PID generated with the same commands are different . Why so? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asd78in
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate OTPW login to ssh via bash script

Hello everyone. I'm a Linux novice trying out a lot of bash scripting lately, as it is so very addictive. Lately I have been setting up one of my boxes remotely and have been hardening it as much as possible. Please allow me to explain the scenario, as it does tend to become a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: instro
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adFiowx] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [-adFiowx] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-f file Tells last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. -num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -f file Specifies a file to search other than /var/log/wtmp. -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -F Print full login and logout times and dates. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -w Display full user and domain names in the output. -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 31, 2004 LAST,LASTB(1)