Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash: How to remove the last character of a string? Post 302599686 by mikelking on Friday 17th of February 2012 11:17:32 PM
Old 02-18-2012
carldamon

general use sed for only search and destroy missions. So I would not want to steer you in the wrong direction. But I believe you can through multiple pipings, or in combination with cut. I just find awk to be my go to tool for these sorts of manipulations.

Cheers,
m

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash while read how to remove \n character

Hi, I've made a script to grep a file for i in `cat filename.txt` do strings ./binfile | grep "$i" 2>&1 > /dev/null done this works fine as long as in filename.txt i don't have any entries with spaces. But in my case i want to grep something with spaces like "lala tata" and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: papasj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove the last character(.) of a string

hi I have a list of words in a text file. these words are appended by "." at their end. They look something like this. word1. word2. word3. word4. word5. I need to remove the last character "." from all the words. The output must look something like this. word1 word2 word3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the first character on a string in a variable

Hi all, Does anyone know how to code in ksh that will remove the first character in a string variable and replace that variable without the first character? Example: var1=ktest1 will become var1=test1 var2=rtest2 will become var2=test2 Need help please. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last character in a string read from file

Hello, The last character is a comma , I have tried the following: sed -e 's/\,$//' filename-to-read however - there are still commas at the end of each line...:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed is doing my head in! How do you remove the first character of a string?

Hello! Please bare with me, I'm a total newbie to scripting. Here's the sudo code of what I'm trying to do: Get file name Does file exist? If true get length of file name get network id (this will be the last 3 numbers of the file name) loop x 2 If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KatieV
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove all occurrences of a character at the beginning of a string

Hi there, i need some help to remove all occurrences of a certain character at the beginning of a string. Example: my string is 00102030 and i want to remove all zeros from beginning of string so the result is 102030 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove the first and last character of a string

How can i remove the first and last character of strings like below: "^^^613*" "admt130" "^^^613*" "123456" "adg8484" "DQitYV09dh1C" Means i wanna remove the quotes(""). Please help (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk to remove last character in a line or string

I am outputting a line like this print $2 "/" $4The last character though is a ":" and I want to remove it. Is there any neat way to remove it? Or am I forced to do something like this: print $2 "/" substr($4, 1, length($4) - 1)Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benalt
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove string between number and character

hello ! I have to remove string between a number and set of characters. For example, 35818 -stress - - -stress - - - - - - DB-3754 44412 caul kid notify DB-3747 54432 roberto -, notify DB-3725 55522 aws _ _int _ _classified 2_a _a 2_m _m 2_classified 2_search... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)