Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: concatenate variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenate variables Post 302599661 by HackerSeabass on Friday 17th of February 2012 07:13:06 PM
Old 02-17-2012
concatenate variables

I need to know how to concatenate variables in Debian. I am making a interactive script where it ask the user for info to add a user I pull the first letter from the first middle and last name into individual variables now i want to put them all in one variable so i can put it into useradd command

This is what happening
Code:
v1= echo $firstname |  cut -b 1
 v2= echo $lastname |  cut -b 1
 v3= echo $middlename |  cut -b 1
 uname= $v1 $v2 $3
 echo $uname

output:
a
d
s

I need the output to look like this
output:
ads

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 02-17-2012 at 08:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to convert byteArray variables to HexaString variables for Linux?

Hello everybody, I am having problem in converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Linux. I have done, converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Windows but same function doesn't work for linux. Is there any difference in OS ? The code for Windows is given... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritesh_163
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to concatenate values of two variables with an underscore(_) in between

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. I have two variables a and b a=val1 b=val2 could anyone kindly post the shell script to concatenate the values of variable a and b with an underscore(_) in between? The final output should be val1_val2. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate some of the rows...

i have a file as below and i need to load it into oracle. The problem is, some of the rows are in 2 lines. 123456_PosWlist ----- ----- IN 0/0 123456_PosWListRpt ----- ----- IN 0/0 123456_PosWListCSV ----- -----... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables problem

Hello, I have a tricky problem: I have a $file with a variable number of occurrences of "ORA-" (in this case two) .......... EXP-00008: ORACLE error 3113 encountered ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1403 encountered ORA-01403: no data found... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurentiu
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

Hi, I want to create a batch(bash) file to combine 23 files together. These files have the same extension. I want the final file is save to a given folder. Once it is done it will delete the 23 files. Thanks for help. Need script. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
6 Replies

6. Web Development

Concatenate Strings

hi..:) this is my sample part of my program.. $csv_output .= $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeneca
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two variables and form the third variable

Hi Guys, I was scratching my head for this for half a day... finally not successful :confused: Following is the problem I have a variable $ var1=123 $ var2-234 $ var3=345 and another Variable $ i=1 Now i wanted to save these into a Variable as shown below for i in 1 2 3 do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramprabhum
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)						File Formats Manual						DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)

NAME
devscripts.conf - configuration file for the devscripts package DESCRIPTION
The devscripts package provides a collection of scripts which may be of use to Debian developers and others wishing to build Debian pack- ages. Many of these have options which can be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. Every script in the devscripts package which makes use of values from these configuration files describes the specific settings recognised in its own manpage. (For a list of the scripts, either see /usr/share/doc/devscripts/README.gz or look at the output of dpkg -L devscripts | grep /usr/bin.) The two configuration files are /etc/devscripts.conf for system-wide defaults and ~/.devscripts for per-user settings. They are written with bash(1) syntax, but should only have comments and simple variable assignments in them; they are both sourced (if present) by many of the devscripts scripts. Variables corresponding to simple switches should have one of the values yes and no; any other setting is regarded as equivalent to the default setting. All variable names are written in uppercase, and begin with the script name. Package-wide variables begin with "DEVSCRIPTS", and are listed below, as well as in the relevant manpages. For a list of all of the available options variables, along with their default settings, see the example configuration file /usr/share/doc/devscripts/devscripts.conf.ex. This is copied to /etc/devscripts.conf when the devscripts package is first installed. Information about configuration options introduced in newer versions of the package will be appended to /etc/devscripts.conf when the pack- age is upgraded. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using --no-conf as the first command-line option. PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL, DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX These variables control scripts which change directory to find a debian/changelog file or suchlike, and some other miscellaneous cases. In order to prevent unwanted, even possibly dangerous, behaviour, these variables control when actions will be performed. The scripts which currently make use of these variables are: debc, debchange/dch, debclean, debi, debrelease, debuild and uscan, but this list may change with time (and I may not remember to update this manpage). Please see the manpages of individual scripts for details of the specific behaviour for each script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1) and /usr/share/doc/devscripts/README.gz. AUTHOR
This manpage was written for the devscripts package by the package maintainer Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)