Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sendmail not showing recipients Post 302599604 by MaindotC on Friday 17th of February 2012 03:41:05 PM
Old 02-17-2012
Sendmail not showing recipients

I've figured out to do a mail merge with /usr/lib/sendmail which is extremely helpful as it is lightning fast compared to an Outlook mail merge which pretty much locks up my machine while it struggles to push out the emails. I figured out how to send html emails, with dynamic variables, and how our company translates id's to addresses which is 95% done. The last obstacle I'm facing is that the emails do not show to whom the email was sent.

When I use Outlook mail merge, which does not have an option for Cc'ing multiple users, I have to put this pathetic note at the top saying "This email was also sent to <person1>, <person2>, <person3> (Outlook mail merge does not allow cc)". So I'm trying to use sendmail but it's now showing the recipients in the received mail so it doesn't achieve the desired result. This is how I have it set up:
Code:
while read line
do
REQUEST_NUMBER=`echo $line | cut -d" " -f8` USER_LOGIN=`echo $line | cut -d" " -f2` END_USER=`echo $line | cut -d" " -f3` REQUESTOR=`echo $line | cut -d" " -f4` SERVER_OWNER=`echo $line | cut -d" " -f5`
(
cat html_greeting echo $END_USER cat html_body echo $REQUESTOR cat html_server_owner echo $SERVER_OWNER cat html_closing
) | /usr/lib/sendmail -f NO-REPLY@domain $SERVER_OWNER,$REQUESTOR,$END_USER done < txt

Where txt is a sheet of data w/ all the id's and stuff on each line. I tried putting the recipients without commas, inside quotes, with commas and inside quotes...several different combinations. The emails are sent and received but the three people will not see that they have all been send the email so there could be some confusion as to who is in the loop and who isn't. Is there a reason those three addresses would not show on the receiving email?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps -ef not showing all info

Hi there, How can I expand the command filed sizing when using a ps command. With diretories and script names and parameters being set I'm not getting some of the information that I need (at the end of the command line). I'm using HP_UX 11i. Cheers, Neil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Posts not showing up

I received the following e-mail notification, but neither this post nor my previous post is showing up. ---------------------------------------------------------------- patwa has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Waiting between commands - in the UNIX for Dummies... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cfajohnson
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using mailx with multiple recipients

I am trying to use a file containing email addresses in my mailx command like the following: SUBJECT="Kronos User Report" BODY="kronos.txt" MAILTO="kronosmail.txt" mailx -s "$SUBJECT" $MAILTO < $BODY This works fine for the body of the message but for the recipient it says: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdhalepaska
6 Replies

4. AIX

5.2 who not showing all login

I have 1 box running 5.2 and another running 5.3. Both use the NIS accounts and NFS home directories. Users can telnet on to both and 'who' displays the login. However when users run xterms using a remote X server (e.g. Exceed), by telnetting then running /usr/bin/X11/xterm -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spitzie
1 Replies

5. Programming

Python: multiple email recipients

I am using a the following backup script to backup a server to USB. USBBackupScript - RdiffBackupWiki However I don't know python and would like to alter the script so I can send emails about the success or failure of the backup to multiple recipients. I did do some research but the limit... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple recipients with sendmail

Hi, I use the following to send a mail : sendmail -v someone@box.com < /appli/oracle/rap.txt Can I give several mail address for destination ? How ? For exemple : sendmail -v someone@box.com, someone2@box.com, someone3@box.com < /appli/oracle/rap.txt Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem getting mailx to send true Bcc mail to multiple recipients

I am having trouble getting mailx to send multiple Bcc mails out without everyone in the list of recipients seeing everyone else's email addresses. I looked at the man pages of my system and seem to be following the syntax correctly, but the mails still go out as if I were just putting in a list of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: legrandtimonier
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing error

if ; then rm -rf "${x}"_"${y}"_abc_pqr.dat error: `then' unmatchedCan anyone please help me in correcting it. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D_Sethi
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
AMC-MAILING(1)						       Auto Multiple Choice						    AMC-MAILING(1)

NAME
AMC-mailing - mail PDF annotated completed answer sheets to students SYNOPSIS
auto-multiple-choice mailing [--xmlargs args.xml] --projet project-dir --students-list students-list.csv [--list-encoding encoding] --email-column col --sender sender-email --subject subject --text email-body [--debug file.log] [transport arguments...] DESCRIPTION
The command AMC-mailing.pl sends by email the PDF annotated completed answer sheets to the students. Email addresses are taken from the students list file. --projet project-dir Gives the project directory. --students-list students-list.csv sets the students list file name. --list-encoding encoding selects an encoding for file students-list.csv (default is utf-8). --email-column col sets the name of the column containing the email addresses of the students in the students list file. --sender sender-email sets the sender email. --subject subject sets the subject of the emails to send. --text email-body sets the body text of the emails to send. --transport transport sets the transport to use. transport may be sendmail or SMTP. --debug file.log gives a file to fill with debugging information. TRANSPORT ARGUMENTS
Depending on the value used for argument transport, the following arguments can be added: Transport sendmail --sendmail-path path sets the path to the sendmail command (defaults to /usr/sbin/sendmail). Transport SMTP --smtp-host host sets the SMTP hostname (defaults to smtp). --smtp-port port sets the port to use (default value is 25). ARGUMENTS IN A XML FILE
To avoid encoding problems, one can place some arguments in a XML file and use the --xmlargs file.xml argument as the first command argument. Here is an exemple of such a file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <arguments> <arg>--sender</arg><arg>Bienvenue &lt;paamc@passoire.fr&gt;</arg> <arg>--text</arg><arg>Voila votre copie corrigee</arg> <arg>--subject</arg><arg>QCM</arg> </arguments> AUTHORS
Alexis Bienvenue <paamc@passoire.fr> Main author Jean Berard Translation from French Georges Khaznadar Translation from French COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Alexis Bienvenue This document can be used according to the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. Auto Multiple Choice 1.1.1 06/19/2012 AMC-MAILING(1)