Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing Extra Folders From a TAR Post 302599589 by Corona688 on Friday 17th of February 2012 02:47:51 PM
Old 02-17-2012
I tried what I posted before I did so, and it did work. Change the filenames of course, but "doesn't work" doesn't tell me what you actually did.

I'll make an example for you.

Code:
$ mkdir -p a/b/c/d
$ touch a/b/c/d/e
$ tar -C a/b -vcf filename.tar c/d
c/d/
c/d/e

$ tar -C a/b -vcf filename.tar c/d # See, it's the same
c/d/
c/d/e

$ tar -tf filename.tar # As requested, leading folders a/b are stripped off in the tarball
c/d/
c/d/e

$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing linux/extra partition??

ok, well i never could get my internet connection setup in linux so now it is just wasting space on my system... so, how do i get rid of it and the extra partition made during install?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justchillin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing extra files in dos

Hi, I have same file by name i want to keep only access file and want to delete rest. This is specific to DOS only. Any idea of doing this. I tried so many options but none worked for me. Thanks Namish (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Removing extra characters in Filename

Hi, It's my first time here... anyways, I have a simple problem with these filenames. This is probably too easy for you guys: ABC_20101.2A.2010_01 ABD_20103.2E.2010_04 ABE_20107.2R.2010_08 Expected Output: ABC_20101 ABD_20103 ABE_20107 The only pattern available are the ff: 1) All... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joule
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing extra new line characters

Hello, I have a text file that looks like: ABC123|some text|some more text|00001 00002 0003 0004 000019|000003|Item I have searched and found an example to remove the extra new line characters using grep and sed, but it (I think) assumes the lines start with a number and the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c56444
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the filed. Sample: abc~bd ~bkd123 .. 1space abc~badf ~bakdsf123 .. 2space abc~bqed ~bakuowe .. 3space output: abc~bd ~bkd123 .. 1space abc~badf~bakdsf123 .. 2space abc~bqed~bakuowe .. 3space i used the following command, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the 2nd field. Sample: abc|bd |bkd123 .. 1space abc|badf |bakdsf123 .. 2space abc|bqe |bakuowe .. 3space Output: abc|bd|bkd123 abc|badf|bakdsf123 abc|bqe|bakuowe i used the following command, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking subset and removing extra letters

In each line of file, I wish to check if word1 is a non-connected subset of any of the other words in the line. If yes, keep only the words that ward1 is a subset of. Else, remove the whole line. Also, I want to remove the letters that word1 doesn't match with, except for "_+" Example file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra lines from file

I have a file where data looks like this: === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xml xmlns:s='uuid:XYZ' xmlns:dt='uuid:ABC' xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset' xmlns:z='#RowsetSchema'> <s:Schema id='RowsetSchema'> <s:ElementType name='row'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing extra character from end

Hi, Searching through forum I found "sed 's/*$//'" can be used to remove trailing whitespaces and tabs from file. The command works fine but I see minor issue as below. Can you please suggest if I am doing something wrong here. $ cat a.txt upg_prod_test upg_prod_new $ cat a.txt |sed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)