Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mdadm for / and /boot
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat mdadm for / and /boot Post 302599522 by ppchu99 on Friday 17th of February 2012 11:05:33 AM
Old 02-17-2012
mdadm for / and /boot

had this RHEL 5 installation with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 running..

created two more partitions /dev/sdj1 and /dev/sdj2 , the same sized partition as /dev/sda

trying to use mdadm to create RAID1 ..

I cannot even do it in "rescue" mode, I wonder if it can be done..

it kept complaining /dev/sda1 is open or busy..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

2. Linux

mdadm - Swapping 500GB disks for 1TB

Hi, I have a three disk raid 5, with 500GB disks. This is close to being full, and whilst I can just add another disk and rebuild to add another 500GB, I would prefer to replace with 1TB disks. So i have some questions. Can I replace these disks one by one with bigger disks? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoop2048
1 Replies

3. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

is mdadm --incremental --rebuild --run --scan destructive?

Hello Unix Community: My task to figure out how to add a 20G volume to an existing EBS Array (RAID0) at AWS. I haven't been told that growing the existing volumes isn't an option, or adding another larger volume to the existing array is the way to go. The client's existing data-store is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
0 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

mdadm unable to fail a resyncing drive?

Hi All I have a RAID 5 array consisting of 4 drives that had a partial drive failure in one of the drives. Rebooting shows the faulty drive as background rebuilding and mdadm /dev/ARRAYID shows three drives as in sync with the fourth drive as spare rebuilding. However the array won't come... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm question

Hello, I have 4 drives (500G each) in a raid 10, I got a power failior and this is the result? cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : md126 : inactive sdb sdc sdd sde 1953536528 blocks super external:-md127/0 md127 : inactive sdd(S) sde(S) sdb(S) sdc(S) 9028 blocks super... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmokros
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm container! How does it work

Hi everyone, I am not sure if I understand how mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=container works? A device called /dev/md0 appears in /proc/mdstat but I am not sure how to use that device? I have 2 blank drives with 1 500GB partition on each. I would like to setup mirroring, but not in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hytron
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

USB RAID 5 Problem on Joli OS 1.2 (Ubuntu) using mdadm

Hi All, I have been trying to create a USB RAID 5 using mdadm tool on Joli OS 1.2 (Ubuntu) but with no luck. I cannot even get pass the creation of array device (/dev/md0) and superblock. I am using 3 USB keys (2 16.4 GB kingston and 1 16GB sandisk). My steps are: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: powelltallen
5 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

MDADM Failure - where it came from?

Hello, i have a system with 6 sata3 seagate st3000dm01 disks running on stable Debian with software raid mdadm. i have md0 for root and md1 for swap and md2 for the files. i now want to add one more disk = sdh4 for md2 but i got this errors: The new disk is connected to an 4 port sata... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunghost
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to fix mistake on raid: mdadm create instead of assemble?

Hi guys, I'm new to RAID although I've had a server running raid5 for a while. It was delivered preinstalled like this and I never really wondered how to monitor and maintain it. This quick introduction just to let you understand why I'm such an idiot asking such a silly question. Now what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
0 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the Linux kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It optionally adds or removes partitions. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-". For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than a partition. This is not an fdisk program -- adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Don't use it in newly written scripts. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. The output columns can be rearranged with the --output option. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type -- aix, bsd, dos, gpt, mac, minix, sgi, solaris_x86, sun, ultrix or unixware. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format <M-N> is supported. The range may contain negative numbers, for example "--nr :-1" means the last partition, and "--nr -2:-1" means the last two partitions. Supported range specifi- cations are: <M> Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). <M:> Specifies lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). <:N> Specifies upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). <M:N> or <M-N> Specifies lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 3 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sda without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. 1 Feb 2011 PARTX(8)