Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file Post 302599449 by methyl on Friday 17th of February 2012 06:24:49 AM
Old 02-17-2012
Here's a sample. I've just checked that executing the command suggested produces the same output as in the other log. However if the EMS alert is out of date (i.e. probably repaired) the command produces the message "There is no active monitor request for the resource".

Code:
Feb 15 03:03:00 servername EMS [4044]: ------ EMS Event Notification ------   Value: "SERIOUS (4)" for Resource: "/system/events/core_hw/core_hw"     (Threshold:  >= " 3")    Execute the following command to obtain event details:   /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 265029435 -r /system/events/cor_hw/core_hw -n 265027588 -a

There can be a lot of trivia in /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log which would not normally appear in syslog.log. Messages like recovered disc errors and tape changes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log monitor script

Hi All, I have a question and hope someone will have an answer to that. I'm looking for a way to monitor log files being generated on a windows machine for some specified string and if its occurrence is found, raise an alarm though email. The log file size keeps on increasing and after a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor the pattern in the log file

hi All, how to find a pattern in the log file & display the above and below line for example in the log file, i have many lines, whenever i search for "Category" it should display the above line with only few parameter like i want only the location name & department name Thu Jul 02 11:05:23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithick256
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for this monitor log script

this is the format of the log file in my system xxxxx_xxx_xxxx_xxxxx_09_10_2009_170457.log xxxx_xxx_2_0_09_10_2009_163834.log xxx_xxxxxxxxx_25_10_2009_045020.log xxx_xxxxxxx_08_11_2009_055728.log the path of this logs file in on for example /dellxmax/application/log what i want to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor log file

Hi, Have written a script to monitor linux non standard log file based on line numbers, so each check store $otalinenum .. then in next check after 10 minutes it compre the current_total_line_num > last_total_line_num then it will parse the log file from last_total_line_num to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file

Hi, I need to amend an existing ksh script so that it runs a process (stop weblogic) and in parallel needs to monitor a log file (startup.log) in the background for a certain string (e.g. unable to stop weblogic). If the string appears in the log i need to kill the stop weblogic process. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dholmaster
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor /var/log/messages

Hello All, I want to write a script to monitor my product logs from /var/log/messages and send notifications without using "tail -f" command.Please suggest alternatives and any other tools for monitoring and alerting. Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cva2568
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] script is filling up my /var/log

I am trying to create a script that checks if my VPN connection is up and running... Everything seems to work as except but for some reason, the script fills up my /var/log/auth.log with the below information Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: soichiro : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/soichiro/Desktop ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
5 Replies
evmlogger(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      evmlogger(8)

NAME
evmlogger - Event Manager logger SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/evmlogger [-c config_file] [-l log_file] [-o info_file] OPTIONS
Sets the configuration file to config_file. The default is /etc/evmlogger.conf. Sets message output to log_file. The default is stderr. When the logger starts it renames any previous message file by appending Specifies the name of an output file to hold summary details of the current run session. OPERANDS
None DESCRIPTION
The EVM logger is started automatically by the EVM daemon at startup. It reads from its configuration file /etc/evmlogger.conf a set of definitions of event logs and forwarders, each with its own filter string. The logger combines the individual filter strings to produce a single compound string, connects to the EVM daemon, and uses the compound filter string to establish its event subscription. The logger then writes each incoming event to each of the event logs or forwarders whose individual filter string it matches. Event logs may be files or terminal devices. If a terminal device is given as a log, the logger automatically formats the event for dis- play. If a log is a file or any device other than a terminal, and the log is not specified as a formatted log, the logger writes events to it in canonical (binary) form. If a log is a disk file, the logger creates the file if necessary. If the log name ends in the characters .dated, the logger replaces that suffix with the current date in the form yyyymmdd, and begins a new file when the first event is written to the log each day. A lock file with a suffix of .lck is created to protect the log file while it is being written. A log can be configured to start a new file when it reaches a certain size. Successive generations of the same log are given the suffix _n, where n is the generation number of the file. A generation control file, with a suffix of .gen, is created to control the generation sequence. If the logger is writing to the log file, and the file becomes unavailable or unwritable for any reason, the logger switches to the alter- nate log file if one has been configured. Otherwise the log is disabled and the events are lost. If the logger is writing to the alternate log, and the error condition that caused it to switch has been cleared, you can revert to the primary path by using the evmreload -l command. If a forward command is specified, when any incoming event matches the forwarding filter the logger executes the command, piping the incom- ing event into its stdin stream. If an incoming event matches the suppression filter associated with an eventlog or forwarder, the event undergoes suppression consideration processing. In the case of an eventlog this reduces the risk of wasting storage space by logging repeated instances of the same event, and for a forwarder it reduces the risk of sending replicated mail messages reporting the same event over a short period. For a full discus- sion of the configuration values which control suppression see the evmlogger.conf(4) reference page. By default, the logger reads its configuration from /etc/evmlogger.conf. The -c flag can be used to override this. If the logger's configu- ration file is changed while the logger is running, the evmreload -l(8) command should be used to instruct it to reconfigure itself. The logger reconfigures itself when evmreload -l is run, or upon receipt of a SIGHUP signal. There is no limit to the number of instances of the logger which may be running, and individual users or applications can make use of it to monitor and log interesting events. However, they must provide their own configuration files. EXIT VALUES
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion An error occurred FILES
Executable file Default logger configuration file Error log Run information file SEE ALSO
Commands: evmchmgr(8), evmd(8), evmget(1), evmreload(8), evmshow(1), evmstart(8), evmstop(8), kill(1) Files: evmlogger.conf(4) Event Management: EVM(5) EVM Events: EvmEvent(5) Event Filter: EvmFilter(5) delim off evmlogger(8)