Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Shell Script question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Shell Script question Post 302599303 by methyl on Thursday 16th of February 2012 04:58:33 PM
Old 02-16-2012
It is because the "exit 1" is in a child script (the piece of code surrounded by brackets) which means the the exit just went up one level.

The rest of the script is a mystery to me because it is overcomplicated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script question

Hi, I have a file say xmldir.conf. This is a flat file which contains the data in specific format not other then this. The format is /backup/surjya/mvfile,noeof /backup/surjya/mdbase,eof /backup/surjya/mdbaseso /backup/surjya/trial,hoeof /backup/surjya/test,eof The field before "," is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
2 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Shell Question: how to print the shell script name ?

Suppose I have a script named "sc.sh" in the script how to print out its name "sc.sh"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
3 Replies

4. Programming

question on shell script

when i run a shell script i have to type ./my_prog and the first line of my_prog has to have #!/usr/bin/env bash how do i change it to i only have to type my_prog to run it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Question on shell script

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii all, Please i want your help fast, the teacher gave us this assignment can u help me to write it? this is the question: Write a shell script to point all prime numbers from the fibonacci series of integer N? using Red hat Os Thanks all and waiting for ur answers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moonlips
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

question on shell script

hiiiiiiiiiiiii,,I found an error on my following script but couldnt find it!!! Can you please help me as soon as possible?! echo "enter a number " read n i=0 first=0 second=1 result=0 prime="true" echo –n " $first $second " while do result=`expr $first + $second` first=$second... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moonlips
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New Unix user with shell script question using grep

Hello, I am a new Unix user and new to shell programming. I am working on a script to go through a log file and find the text error: grep -i 'error' monplus.mplog if I find the text error in the log file I would like to echo a message to the operator staing there is an error I am currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtracy01
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about shell scripting in UNIX

Unix script coding help? i am trying to write a code that will display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking users choice ask user for two numbers and perform... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script question

Hi all, can you plz check whether the below code is correct & some inputs. I need to read the below file and process it. input : /home/ibm/var.txt urgent not urgent not needed. #!/usr/bin/ksh VAR=/home/ibm/var.txt if ] then (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script question.

I need to check whether the directory is exist or not. only three letter will be passed as argument. from that it should pick the entire directory. Instead of banking and manfucuture the input will be passed as man or ban. $1 -> ban $2-> monday #!/bin/sh DIR='/sales/$1*/monday' if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
3 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)