Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Changing the way arguments are read from program Post 302599108 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of February 2012 09:11:55 AM
Old 02-16-2012
There's nothing in there which would prevent that. The problem's in the rest of the program I presume.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Arguments to a shell program

Hi List, Is it possible to pass one argument to a shell program eg) there is a shell program abc which takes one arguments abc one Due to some reasons I pass abc one two Now one,two must be considered as "one" argument to the shell programs. Any suggestions,hints are welcome. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csvenkata
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

two arguments with nawk program

Can someone help me to understand this part of code? /bin/nawk -f awkfile file1 file2 I know awkfile is the one with awk script. file1 is source file that needs to be processed. What is file2 two? Thanks for your help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
4 Replies

3. Linux

Where to set program arguments in DDD debugger?

In DDD debugger, where to set the the arguments for main program? For example: ./myExe "argv1" "argv2" -> where to set "argv1" & "argv2" ? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass arguments to called program

Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShellUser
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give runtime arguments to different program

I have a shell script that is attempting to call a c program. I call the c program with ./dictool dictool accepts arguments at runtime. It works by prompting the user for various commands, acting on those commands, spitting out an output, and then prompting for more commands. My question is,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aarongoldfein
1 Replies

6. Programming

Program java arguments

Hello, The arguments are strings. In my code I need them to be a different type, I do the cast but it is not feasible ... Have you any idea? Thank you (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
8 Replies

7. Programming

Writing C++ program Arguments and Classes

I want to write a C++ program that uses a class to do some calculations. I pass arguments to the program, some of which are used to set up class members. A class function will then perform the necessary calculations. I am wondering how I should pass the arguments from the program to set the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpreting arguments in Perl program.

Hello. I'm new to Perl and I am not sure how to interpret command line arguments in the program. I am writing a program similar to the Unix utility 'tail' and need to check if first argument is '-1' (1) or any arbitrary number of lines to output. How would I write an 'if' statement to check for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple arguments to read

I am developing a script where 3 other scripts are included. This is a graph related script. COMPLETE IDEA: -There are 3 different graph scripts. I would like to create a master graph with all 3 in one. -User chooses the type of graph -User is asked to enter the required auguments (... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newkid.7955
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass command line arguments to awk program?

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS=":"; } { if ( $7 == "" ) { print $1 ": no password!"; } } I want to execute this program for a particular user to check for his password from the file /etc/passwd (as the input file) and the user details to be given... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sri.phani
1 Replies
PCAP_LOOP(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      PCAP_LOOP(3)

NAME
pcap_loop, pcap_dispatch - process packets from a live capture or savefile SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> typedef void (*pcap_handler)(u_char *user, const struct pcap_pkthdr *h, const u_char *bytes); int pcap_loop(pcap_t *p, int cnt, pcap_handler callback, u_char *user); int pcap_dispatch(pcap_t *p, int cnt, pcap_handler callback, u_char *user); DESCRIPTION
pcap_loop() processes packets from a live capture or ``savefile'' until cnt packets are processed, the end of the ``savefile'' is reached when reading from a ``savefile'', pcap_breakloop() is called, or an error occurs. It does not return when live read timeouts occur. A value of -1 or 0 for cnt is equivalent to infinity, so that packets are processed until another ending condition occurs. pcap_dispatch() processes packets from a live capture or ``savefile'' until cnt packets are processed, the end of the current bufferful of packets is reached when doing a live capture, the end of the ``savefile'' is reached when reading from a ``savefile'', pcap_breakloop() is called, or an error occurs. Thus, when doing a live capture, cnt is the maximum number of packets to process before returning, but is not a minimum number; when reading a live capture, only one bufferful of packets is read at a time, so fewer than cnt packets may be processed. A value of -1 or 0 for cnt causes all the packets received in one buffer to be processed when reading a live capture, and causes all the packets in the file to be processed when reading a ``savefile''. (In older versions of libpcap, the behavior when cnt was 0 was undefined; different platforms and devices behaved differently, so code that must work with older versions of libpcap should use -1, nor 0, as the value of cnt.) callback specifies a pcap_handler routine to be called with three arguments: a u_char pointer which is passed in the user argument to pcap_loop() or pcap_dispatch(), a const struct pcap_pkthdr pointer pointing to the packet time stamp and lengths, and a const u_char pointer to the first caplen (as given in the struct pcap_pkthdr a pointer to which is passed to the callback routine) bytes of data from the packet. RETURN VALUE
pcap_loop() returns 0 if cnt is exhausted, -1 if an error occurs, or -2 if the loop terminated due to a call to pcap_breakloop() before any packets were processed. It does not return when live read timeouts occur; instead, it attempts to read more packets. pcap_dispatch() returns the number of packets processed on success; this can be 0 if no packets were read from a live capture (if, for example, they were discarded because they didn't pass the packet filter, or if, on platforms that support a read timeout that starts before any packets arrive, the timeout expires before any packets arrive, or if the file descriptor for the capture device is in non-blocking mode and no packets were available to be read) or if no more packets are available in a ``savefile.'' It returns -1 if an error occurs or -2 if the loop terminated due to a call to pcap_breakloop() before any packets were processed. If your application uses pcap_breakloop(), make sure that you explicitly check for -1 and -2, rather than just checking for a return value < 0. If -1 is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argument to fetch or display the error text. SEE ALSO
pcap(3), pcap_geterr(3), pcap_breakloop(3) 24 December 2008 PCAP_LOOP(3)