Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting piping from grep to awk without intermediate files Post 302599026 by siteregsam on Thursday 16th of February 2012 03:49:37 AM
Old 02-16-2012
MySQL

Thanks to all...

I made a silly mistake in the command. I had wrongly specified the field position as 6 instead of 7 in awk Smilie

After correcting it, the command worked.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

---------- Post updated at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siteregsam
Thanks to all...

I made a silly mistake in the command. I had wrongly specified the field position as 6 instead of 7 in awk Smilie

After correcting it, the command worked.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about grep, cut, and piping

Howdy folks, I am fairly new to scripting but have lost of expirience in c++, pascal, and a few other. I am trying to complete a file search script that is sent a file name containing data to search that is arranged like this "id","name","rating" "1","bob","7" etc and an argument to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dyrt
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Avoid intermediate files when pipe does nt work

problem with piping one output to another.Would like to avoid the intermediate file creation.The piping does nt work on places where files have been created and goes in an endless loop. sed -e "s/^\.\///g" $LINE1| sed -e "s/_\(\)/kkk\1/g" > $file1 tr -s '_' ' ' < $file1| \ sort -n -k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w020637
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping STDOUT as pattern to grep or sed

$>cat file.txt 123 d3 234 abc 3 zyf 23 124 def 8 ghi kz0 ... ... I have the following output on the screen through <some command>. $> <some command> abc def ghi ... ... I have to search for each of these patterns in the file.txt and print the lines in file.txt matching the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VNR
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frymor
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frymor
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

initializing loop to delete intermediate output files

Hi, I am running a script which produces a number of intermediate output files for each time step. is there a way to remove these intermediate files and just retain the final output at every end of the loop, like sort of an initialization process? this the inefficient way i do it. for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through grep/awk prevents file write

So, this is weird... I'm running this command: iotop -o -P -k -bt -d 5 I'd like to save the output relelvant to rsyslogd to a file, so I do this: iotop -o -P -k -bt -d 5 | grep rsyslogd >> /var/log/rsyslogd Nothing is written to the file! I can write the full output to the file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Piping to grep with pbpaste

cat file 1 aaa 2 bbb 3 ccc 4 ddd In TextEdit, I then copy the characters “ccc” to the clipboard. The problem is that the following command gives no output: bash-3.2$ pbpaste | grep - file Desired output: 3 ccc What should the syntax be for that command? I am using MacOS El... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
3 Replies
update(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 update(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
update - Process pending events and idle callbacks SYNOPSIS
update ?idletasks? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to bring the application "up to date" by entering the event loop repeatedly until all pending events (including idle callbacks) have been processed. If the idletasks keyword is specified as an argument to the command, then no new events or errors are processed; only idle callbacks are invoked. This causes operations that are normally deferred, such as display updates and window layout calculations, to be performed imme- diately. The update idletasks command is useful in scripts where changes have been made to the application's state and you want those changes to appear on the display immediately, rather than waiting for the script to complete. Most display updates are performed as idle callbacks, so update idletasks will cause them to run. However, there are some kinds of updates that only happen in response to events, such as those triggered by window size changes; these updates will not occur in update idletasks. The update command with no options is useful in scripts where you are performing a long-running computation but you still want the applica- tion to respond to events such as user interactions; if you occasionally call update then user input will be processed during the next call to update. EXAMPLE
Run computations for about a second and then finish: set x 1000 set done 0 after 1000 set done 1 while {!$done} { # A very silly example! set x [expr {log($x) ** 2.8}] # Test to see if our time-limit has been hit. This would # also give a chance for serving network sockets and, if # the Tk package is loaded, updating a user interface. update } SEE ALSO
after(n), interp(n) KEYWORDS
event, flush, handler, idle, update Tcl 7.5 update(n)