Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Run a cronjob only when a file is modified? Post 302598906 by ad23 on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 04:52:44 PM
Old 02-15-2012
Thanks a bunch! I understand now.

Also, I want to add a check-point to this: to avoid updating the database while the input-text-file is being updated or if the file is corrupt (or does not exit). Is it advisable to check by file size, since the updated file will be larger than the old file? If yes, how can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cannot run cronjob

I have the following cron: 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57 * * * * /v/sysadmin/sysnet/file.pl The .pl has been tried at 755 and 777 The script works if manually run by the web browser or unix command prompt, but I can't get the Cron to do it automatically i went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahrahulb
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cronjob to run perl script

Hi all Recently i had finished a perl script. When i run manually, the script work fine. But when i wanted to put the script in cron, it didn't get the same output as it run manually. I felt that it only execute the script until certain line then it stop as i see most of the related files didn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to schedule a cronjob to run every 15 mins ?

Hi, I want to schedule a job to run every 15 mins through cron. searched the forums and came up with this piece of code.i have given this in my crontab 0-59/15 * * * * sh /usr/ss/job But its not being run. Have i made any mistake here. Can any1 post the cron code for scheduling the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_kb211
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run a script if file modified in last 10 min

Hi, I want to check if a file is modified or not in the last 10 mins and run a script if so. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doesn't run as a cronjob...

Hi! I have a svn backup script that works perfectly if I execute it from the command line but if I set it as a cronjob to run at night, only part of the code works. So, basically the scripts starts by deleting the folder yesterday and then moves the folder today to the folder yesterday. When... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
4 Replies

7. AIX

My script didn't run every run every minute at cronjob

In my cronjob, I would like to schedule my script.sh to run every minutes. I crontab -e and have in line below but it didn't seems to run at all. * * * * * script.sh When I run it manually, I can run it. Is that anything wrong with the above line? If I change it to something like below,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script when a file is modified/time stamp changed

Hi, I need to run a script file which uses a file and that file is modified as and when some alarms generated, it is not based on any fixed time period.. it may be modified even once in a minute for some time and once in 30 min or once in 20 min. Hence i need to watch for the timestamp change of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accomplished to run zenity in cronjob?

Hi, I would like to ask some few questions about zenity. I write a script that would generate a report if any changes on the files. i want to used zenity to had a visual alarm report if theres some changes on the comparisons of the file.I used this line of zenity but it doesn't work in cronjob.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run cronjob for every 10 minutes

Hi Friends, I have a requirement to run the cronjob for every 10 minutes from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Does the below code works? If not, please advise. * * * * * command to be executed ┬ ┬ ┬ ┬ ┬ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ └---------------------------------- day of week (0 - 6) (0 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthbiradar
5 Replies
H5FROMTXT(1)							      h5utils							      H5FROMTXT(1)

NAME
h5fromtxt - convert text input to an HDF5 file SYNOPSIS
h5fromtxt [OPTION]... [HDF5FILE] DESCRIPTION
h5fromtxt takes a series of numbers from standard input and outputs a multi-dimensional numeric dataset in an HDF5 file. HDF5 is a free, portable binary format and supporting library developed by the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the Uni- versity of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. A single h5 file can contain multiple data sets; by default, h5fromtxt creates a dataset called "data", but this can be changed via the -d option, or by using the syntax HDF5FILE:DATASET. The -a option can be used to append new datasets to an existing HDF5 file. All characters besides the numbers (and associated decimal points, etcetera) in the input are ignored. By default, the data is assumed to be a two-dimensional MxN dataset where M is the number of rows (delimited by newlines) and N is the number of columns. In this case, it is an error for the number of columns to vary between rows. If M or N is 1 then the data is written as a one-dimensional dataset. Alternatively, you can specify the dimensions of the data explicitly via the -n size option, where size is e.g. "2x2x2". In this case, newlines are ignored and the data is taken as an array of the given size stored in row-major ("C") order (where the last index varies most quickly as you step through the data). e.g. a 2x2x2 array would be have the elements listed in the order: (0,0,0), (0,0,1), (0,1,0), (0,1,1), (1,0,0), (1,0,1), (1,1,0), (1,1,1). A simple example is: h5fromtxt foo.h5 <<EOF 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 EOF which reads in a 2x4 space-delimited array from standard input. OPTIONS
-h Display help on the command-line options and usage. -V Print the version number and copyright info for h5fromtxt. -v Verbose output. -a If the HDF5 output file already exists, append the data as a new dataset rather than overwriting the file (the default behavior). An existing dataset of the same name within the file is overwritten, however. -n size Instead of trying to infer the dimensions of the array from the rows and columns of the input, treat the data as a sequence of num- bers in row-major order forming an array of dimensions size. size is of the form MxNxLx... (with M, N, L being numbers) and may be of any dimensionality. -T Transpose the input when it is written, reversing the dimensions. -d name Write to dataset name in the output; otherwise, the output dataset is called "data" by default. Alternatively, use the syntax HDF5FILE:DATASET. BUGS
Send bug reports to S. G. Johnson, stevenj@alum.mit.edu. AUTHORS
Written by Steven G. Johnson. Copyright (c) 2005 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. h5utils March 9, 2002 H5FROMTXT(1)