Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sscanf() weired behaviour
Top Forums Programming sscanf() weired behaviour Post 302598781 by Corona688 on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 11:53:34 AM
Old 02-15-2012
It expects integer size, and just giving it shorts doesn't warn it that you're giving it shorts. With &, you're giving it an address remember, so it can't know the size. So it crams 4 bytes of data into an address where you've got a 2-byte variable, overwriting 2 bytes of random data after it -- possibly your other variable there, producing the zero.

There are size qualifiers to the expressions if you want to give it anything other than an integer, see man 3 printf.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sscanf function is failing

Please delete this thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. Programming

sscanf !!

I have a string Form this string, I want to extract I am unable to do that with sscanf because of the space between the words. What else can I use? #include <stdio.h> char buf_2; int main() { char *buf_1 = "\\\\?\\whats going on"; sscanf(buf_1,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -R behaviour

i 've noticed the following difference between freebsd cp and gnu cp from the freebsd cp man page: -R ... If the source_file ends in a /, the contents of the directory are copied rather than the directory itself. ... on gnu cp from the man pagewhile on gnu cp manpage: ‘-r'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

5. Programming

help with sscanf()!

Hi everybody, i need help with this function, i'm programming in CGI with C and i can't make this work. QUERY_STRING is something like: user=MYUSER&pass=MYPASS So, what i want is to store the strings containing the username and the password into str1 and str2 respetively, here's the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

6. Programming

help with sscanf

I need to match a float inside a very long string (about 5000 chars) with sscanf. (I trimmed the string in this example.) I can't seem to match all the chars that come before and after the float. int main(void) { char A = ""; strcat(A, " hello world! WORD' name='5.3498' hello world! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limmer
1 Replies

7. Programming

Help with sscanf

sscanf does not stop at the first "&". How can I extract "doe" ? char A = "name=john&last=doe&job=vacant&"; char B = "last"; char C = ""; char *POINTER = strstr(A, B); sscanf(POINTER + strlen(B), "=%s%*", C); printf("%s\n", C); // doe&job=vacant& (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
2 Replies

8. Programming

using sscanf

How can I separetely extract the string and int after "dribble" ? (sscanf must limit TEXT to 9 chars to avoid buffer overflows.) How come this code does not work with "dribbletext08" but does with "dribbletext05" ? int main(void) { char TEXT = ""; int NUMBER = 0; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
2 Replies

9. Programming

different behaviour in fg and bg

fg = foreground bg = background I have a cobol program that I start with a very simple script. The script is not at fault as it has not changed and the program worked in fg and bg before. I have altered the logging in the program and moved my cursor declare to working storage. The program runs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
6 Replies

10. Programming

Format specifier for sscanf() in C

Hello, I have formatted lines delimited by colon ":", and I need to parse the line into two parts with sscanf() with format specifiers. infile.txt: Sample Name: sample1 SNPs : 91 MNPs : 1 Insertions : 5 Deletions ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
13 Replies
PCAP-SAVEFILE(5)						File Formats Manual						  PCAP-SAVEFILE(5)

NAME
pcap-savefile - libpcap savefile format DESCRIPTION
NOTE: applications and libraries should, if possible, use libpcap to read savefiles, rather than having their own code to read savefiles. If, in the future, a new file format is supported by libpcap, applications and libraries using libpcap to read savefiles will be able to read the new format of savefiles, but applications and libraries using their own code to read savefiles will have to be changed to support the new file format. ``Savefiles'' read and written by libpcap and applications using libpcap start with a per-file header. The format of the per-file header is: +------------------------------+ | Magic number | +--------------+---------------+ |Major version | Minor version | +--------------+---------------+ | Time zone offset | +------------------------------+ | Time stamp accuracy | +------------------------------+ | Snapshot length | +------------------------------+ | Link-layer header type | +------------------------------+ All fields in the per-file header are in the byte order of the host writing the file. The first field in the per-file header is a 4-byte magic number, with the value 0xa1b2c3d4. The magic number, when read by a host with the same byte order as the host that wrote the file, will have the value 0xa1b2c3d4, and, when read by a host with the opposite byte order as the host that wrote the file, will have the value 0xd4c3b2a1. That allows software reading the file to determine whether the byte order of the host that wrote the file is the same as the byte order of the host on which the file is being read, and thus whether the values in the per-file and per-packet headers need to be byte- swapped. Following this are: A 2-byte file format major version number; the current version number is 2. A 2-byte file format minor version number; the current version number is 4. A 4-byte time zone offset; this is always 0. A 4-byte number giving the accuracy of time stamps in the file; this is always 0. A 4-byte number giving the "snapshot length" of the capture; packets longer than the snapshot length are truncated to the snapshot length, so that, if the snapshot length is N, only the first N bytes of a packet longer than N bytes will be saved in the capture. a 4-byte number giving the link-layer header type for packets in the capture; see pcap-linktype(7) for the LINKTYPE_ values that can appear in this field. Following the per-file header are zero or more packets; each packet begins with a per-packet header, which is immediately followed by the raw packet data. The format of the per-packet header is: +---------------------------------------+ | Time stamp, seconds value | +---------------------------------------+ | Time stamp, microseconds value | +---------------------------------------+ | Length of captured packet data | +---------------------------------------+ |Un-truncated length of the packet data | +---------------------------------------+ All fields in the per-packet header are in the byte order of the host writing the file. The per-packet header begins with a time stamp giving the approximate time the packet was captured; the time stamp consists of a 4-byte value, giving the time in seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 UTC, followed by a 4-byte value, giving the time in microseconds since that second. Following that are a 4-byte value giv- ing the number of bytes of captured data that follow the per-packet header and a 4-byte value giving the number of bytes that would have been present had the packet not been truncated by the snapshot length. The two lengths will be equal if the number of bytes of packet data are less than or equal to the snapshot length. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap-linktype(7) 21 October 2008 PCAP-SAVEFILE(5)