Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris getting to the ok prompt from putty Post 302598654 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 04:56:58 AM
Old 02-15-2012
You don't say whether the system already has an operating system installed or not.

You don't say whether your putty is connected to the systems serial console port.

Please give more information.

Meantime, an extract from the user guide says:-

1.Is the monitor cable attached to the graphics accelerator?
2.Does the monitor work when connected to another system?
3.If you have another monitor, does it work when connected to the original system?
4.Verify that OpenBoot™ PROM defaults are set properly:
•Press and hold the Power button for 4 seconds to power off the system.
•Wait 4 seconds and power on the system.
•As soon as the Power button blinks, quickly press the Power button twice. The
ok prompt is displayed and the system enters a safe NVRAM mode.
•Verify these OpenBoot PROM parameters:
output-device is set to screen and input-device is set to keyboard.
•If the ok prompt does not display, or if changing the output-device setting does not help, contact a Sun Service Support Center.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

PuTTY 0.59

On my opinion, one of the best ssh/telnet clients for windows, putty released a new version: Get it here, PuTTY 0.59 - PuTTY can now connect to local serial ports as well as making network connections. - Improved speed of SSH, particularly SSH-2 key exchange and public-key authentication -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putty

i am connecting to a unix-application using putty (xp). sometime, it is as if the putty is sending a form-feed char, because i am getting a blank screen, and by back scrolling i see the previous screen with all the related data. if i am using the xp-telnet, i get the screen/data correctly. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mifa-system
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK in Putty

I am a beginner with shell script and AWK. I use PUTTY to write shell script. Can I create new AWK script using vi command? I tried sample.awk. But everytime I open this file, the file does not retain anything I typed in. Also, once AWK program is written, how do I execute it? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

need help using scp on putty

I am trying to download a file from my server onto my Win XP Pro machine using the scp command in putty, but am having problems. I tried this: scp filename-to-download c:\temp But it says: c: Name or service not known Any help would be appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsherk
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help for PuTTy.

I'm using PuTTY to establish a SSH connection to a remote UNIX machine. I need to fetch a file from the remote system into my local Windows system. Is it possible? If yes, how can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agnivaccent
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Putty Command

Hi, I am trying to update my site using putty. My server is in linux. I found few commands that help me to access and do few stuffs in the server. Please add additional command. ls - to list files in a directory: cd - change directory (navigate to some directory): cp - copy a file: mv - move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khadkabirendra
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding the logs on putty

Hi Folks, I have an application and I connect to unix box through putty , sometimes I Have to check the logs and for that I reached to particular directory and write tail -f abc.log Is there any better command so that these logs are dynamically go on increasing while I work on my application... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding PUTTY

Hello Forum members There is no any time parameter on putty so how can I stay my putty ssh session always Alive? So please reply to my querry. I am looking forward from Forum. Advance Thanks Siva. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)