Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script not working with nohup Post 302598471 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 02:21:44 PM
Old 02-14-2012
What happens when you do this:
Code:
nohup ./batch.sh &

or this.
Code:
nohup ./batch.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null &

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-14-2012 at 03:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

nohup not working

Hi, I am working in SunOS 5.8. I wanted to run a script in background and I gave the following command, but it is not working. I gave "nohup ksh ULOAD.ksh &" It just came out giving a msg "Redirection or piping of stdin or stdout is allowed only with -b. (156)" in nohup.out file. If I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
2 Replies

2. Solaris

NOHUP not working

Hello All, Here is a problem of NOHUP. I am trying to run a process which needs to be up and running even if the session is closed. I tried running it with "nohup", but starngely it is not working, when i exit from the session the process is also getting killed? plz help me in finding out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script 'system' linking to local shell script not working

Trying to figure out why this works: printpwd.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use CGI::Carp qw( fatalsToBrowser ); print "Content-type: text/html\n\n"; $A = system("pwd"); $A = `pwd`; print "$A\n"; ^^actually that works/breaks if that makes any sense.. i get the working directory twice but when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ssh execute other shell script on other host (shell script include nohup)?

i want use ssh on the host01 to execute autoexec.sh on the host02 like following : host01> ssh host02 autoexec.sh autoexec.sh include nohup command like follwing : nohup /home/jack/deletedata.sh & after i execute ssh host02 autoexec.sh one the host01. i can't found deletedata.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orablue
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup not working

Hi all, I wrote a scirpt (abc.sh) in which I defined a loop with an interval equal to 1 hour. I want this script continue to run when I close the terminal, so I ran the following command, (in the proper directory) nohup abc.sh However the script doesn't just keep running when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

run shell script under nohup directly [solved]

Hi, i am not able to run the loop in nohup directly. nohup 'for i in $(seq 10); do echo $i;./mscript.sh $i; done' can some one help me how to run this directly in nohup? ---------- Post updated 03-15-12 at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous update was 03-14-12 at 11:59 PM ---------- From... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johninweb
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop nohup which is working background

Please I have run a background script using nohup please tell me way to stop this. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup inside shell script

Hi, I want to run another script inside shelll script in nohup mode. let explain. under the same folder ,I have two scripts scrone.sh scrtwo.sh In scrone.sh if then nohup ./scrtwo.sh & echo " Script two has been run correctly" else echo " Exiting from the script" fi If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup not working as expected

Hi. I am trying to start a script on my router that will execute even if i log off. To execute the script I write: nohup ./dslconnection > dslstat.out 2>&1 & It starts the job: 21968 admin 1604 S /bin/ash ./dslconnection The problem is that when I log back in the job has been... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sebcou
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp not working in shell script but running perfectly from shell

Dear All, I have script. Dest="" IFS=' ' for translation in $(echo $MY_MAP) do t1=$(echo $translation | cut -d"=" -f1) t2=$(echo $translation | cut -d"=" -f2| cut -d"," -f1) if then Dest=$UNX/$u_product_path/$u_study_path/$UNXTR/$t2 break; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a utility immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup [--] utility [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The nohup utility invokes utility with its arguments and at this time sets the signal SIGHUP to be ignored. If the standard output is a ter- minal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin nohup command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The following variables are utilized by nohup: HOME If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, the nohup utility uses the directory named by HOME to create the file. PATH Used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found, but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BUGS
Two or more instances of nohup can append to the same file, which makes for a confusing output. BSD
July 19, 2001 BSD