Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead Post 302598442 by jbmorrisonjr on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 12:30:50 PM
Old 02-14-2012
Thank you chihung for the fix.

So let me see if I understand this. I need to play tokenizer in my head to see this.

The parser sees the redirect token and sees that it is followed by a substitution string instead of something else like a directory path. Tokenizing on white-space (with parphrasing) it sees
... <stdout-redirect-append> <substitution-string>
instead of
... <stdout-redirect-append> <file-path> <stderr-redirect> <to-whereever-stdout-goes>

the <substitution-string> is internally processed as a <file-path> and since most characters, including spaces, can be in file names, the file name is "null 2>&1".

Subtle. A second parsing, after all string substitution would have reworked it, hence "eval".

Did I kinda get this right?

Thanks
John Morrison

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file / /dev/null

First of all, hello there cOmMuNity ! :cool: Well, I've got two basic questions: 1) In how many ways it's possible to create a file ? I know one manner using "touch", other typing something like echo "" > file ... The fact is that I need to overwrite the file if it exists, and touch... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/NULL can't open this file ??

when i write the following two statements : cp /dev/NULL /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp cat /dev/NULL > /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp its gives me errors like : cp: /dev/NULL: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. cat : /dev/NULL can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

3. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "> /dev/null 2>&1"

Hi, I am new into UNIX shell scripting and I am wondering what is the meaning of the below text which appears at the end of each line in the ".sh" file: > /dev/null 2>&1 For example, the line below: sh $HOME/stats/Rep777/Act_777.sh omc omc > /dev/null 2>&1 I know for sure what "sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: salanalani
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ">/dev/null 2>&1" and "2>&1 >/dev/null"

Does >/dev/null 2>&1 and 2>&1 >/dev/null mean the same? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find error?? find / -name "something.txt" 2>/dev/null

why is this giving me errors? i type this in: find / -name "something.txt" 2>/dev/null i get the following error messages: find: bad option 2 find: path-list predicate-list :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magiling
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null a file using xargs

Hi, I'm currently using the following command to wipe clean a log file which can't be straight out RM'd: cat /dev/null > server.log I'm building this into a script and I'm current working on a command to run on each machine to do this automatically however I have multiple files so I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deehem
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard Error to /dev/null is not working.

Hello. When I run a .ksh that contains the command below, and there is no file available in the source location the "FILE_NAME_*.CSV not found" error is still being displayed. FILEN=$(ssh ${SOURCE_SERV} "cd ${SOURCE_LOCATION} ;ls ${FILES}") 2> /dev/null. This is interfering with the rest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

10. AIX

/dev/null file issue

Hi Experts, I Have a query. In one of my server I just came to know that there was /dev/null file which is a not a character file. Its just a normal file. I know the command to create the character file (/dev/null) but what is the procedure. Like should i delete /dev/null and create or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
7 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)