Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: slow performing system
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users slow performing system Post 302598416 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 11:05:16 AM
Old 02-14-2012
scp uses the eth0: device to move files, by default.

What does
Code:
netstat -i

show?

you can monitor with netstat -ic. Note: SCSI drivers allow four sessions (connections per device). Total. So what does
Code:
iostat -x 1 10 | grep [device_name]

show on both the sending & receiving virtual boxes?

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 02-14-2012 at 12:13 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow System

Hi, I have an SCO-Unix server running. There are some processes (unknown to me) which consume a lot of the system resources. This slows down the server dramatically. Is there a command or program that monitors what processes are using the cpu, disk, etc.. and tell me how excessive and how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hansaplast
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

What is lvmkd and why does it slow my system down?

I am running HPUX 11.0 with HP MirrorDisk/UX and recently had a HDD failure and replaced the drive with a new one. I did a "dd" command to copy the new data to the new drive and now I have a bunch of "lvmkd" in my "ps -ef" output. These processes are gobbling up CPU time and slowing my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpetrecca
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

postgresql issues - system running really slow

Hi All, I'm new here. i was wondering if anyone could shed a light on the problem i am having. I use a system for distributing broadband amongst users of for example a hotel, the system was designed by someone in the US and it is based on redhat 2.4 (i know its old) and the system uses... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clive306
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 v245 Busy/Slow System

Hello All, I have noticed that one of my servers, the busiest has become increasingly slow to respond and execute commands, the running applications appear to be fine though. Here is some output from vmstat :- kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wez
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

GFS file system performance is very slow

My code Hi All, I am having redhat linux 5.3 (Tikanga) with GFS file system and its very very slow for executing ls -ls command also.Please see the below for 2minits 12 second takes. Please help me to fix the issue. $ sudo time ls -la BadFiles |wc -l 0.01user 0.26system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow UNIX system this morning

Hi, what would be the first things to check on a system that normally works fine, and is not so fine this morning ? Its accessing menus and various other screens 100x slower than normal. Version: UnixWare 5 7.1.3 i386 SCO UNIX_SVR5 I have tried this pf -ef|grep paulc and found a huge list of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick_Dundee
6 Replies

8. Programming

Performing a while for two files

Hi, This is for Perl. I have a while loop, and would like to process two files, the formats are given below : access access.<previousday>-* How can perform a while loop on both logs, while creating the logic for access.<previousday>-* to get format like "access.20130615-124139" when... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: susankoperna1
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing aggregation in File

Hi, I need help in UNIX shell script to handle the following: I have file called File1.txt which contains data something like below: LibraryName|BookName|Flag-Indicator|COUNT LIB1|BOOK1|A|12 LIB1|BOOK1|A|2 LIB2|BOOK2|I|1 LIB2|BOOK1|I|4 LIB1|BOOK2|A|12 LIB1|BOOK1|I|22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
3 Replies
VMX(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VMX(4)

NAME
vmx -- VMware VMXNET3 Virtual Interface Controller device SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device vmx Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_vmx_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The vmx driver provides support for the VMXNET3 virtual NIC available in virtual machines by VMware. It appears as a simple Ethernet device but is actually a virtual network interface to the underlying host operating system. This driver supports the VMXNET3 driver protocol, as an alternative to the emulated pcn(4), em(4) interfaces also available in the VMware environment. The vmx driver is optimized for the virtual machine, it can provide advanced capabilities depending on the underlying host operating system and the physical network interface controller of the host. The vmx driver supports features like multiqueue support, IPv6 checksum offloading, MSI/MSI-X support and hardware VLAN tagging in VMware's VLAN Guest Tagging (VGT) mode. The vmx driver supports VMXNET3 VMware virtual NICs provided by the virtual machine hardware version 7 or newer, as provided by the following products: o VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 and newer o VMware Server 2.0 and newer o VMware Workstation 6.5 and newer o VMware Fusion 2.0 and newer For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). MULTIPLE QUEUES
The vmx driver supports multiple transmit and receive queues. Multiple queues are only supported by certain VMware products, such as ESXi. The number of queues allocated depends on the presence of MSI-X, the number of configured CPUs, and the tunables listed below. FreeBSD does not enable MSI-X support on VMware by default. The hw.pci.honor_msi_blacklist tunable must be disabled to enable MSI-X support. LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.vmx.txnqueue hw.vmx.X.txnqueue Maximum number of transmit queues allocated by default by the driver. The default value is 8. The maximum supported by the VMXNET3 virtual NIC is 8. hw.vmx.rxnqueue hw.vmx.X.rxnqueue Maximum number of receive queues allocated by default by the driver. The default value is 8. The maximum supported by the VMXNET3 virtual NIC is 16. hw.vmx.txndesc hw.vmx.X.txndesc Number of transmit descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 512. The value must be a multiple of 32, and the maxi- mum is 4096. hw.vmx.rxndesc hw.vmx.X.rxndesc Number of receive descriptors per ring allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The value must be a multiple of 32, and the maximum is 2048. There are two rings so the actual usage is doubled. EXAMPLES
The following entry must be added to the VMware configuration file to provide the vmx device: ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), em(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), pcn(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) AUTHORS
The vmx driver was ported from OpenBSD and significantly rewritten by Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@freebsd.org>. The OpenBSD driver was written by Tsubai Masanari. BSD
March 17, 2014 BSD