Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Expect Script Error Handling
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect Script Error Handling Post 302598410 by Corona688 on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 10:51:42 AM
Old 02-14-2012
If you used sftp with keys, you wouldn't need to install or use a third-party brute-forcing utility to forcefeed plaintext passwords into ssh in an insecure manner for you. "interactive password authentication" means "password typed by a human being in realtime authentication" and nothing else will do. It's so difficult for a reason -- ssh is designed to prevent it, because it's almost impossible to keep unencoded passwords secure, and because allowing them would be just the avenue hackers need to bruteforce your own system or use your system as a platform to bruteforce others.

Google 'passwordless ssh' to find the proper way to do this with keys, there's hundreds of tutorials all over the internet.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script - error using sed -

Guys, I'm testing a simple script that connects to a server, does a few checks and sends the results to a file. code: #!/bin/ksh expect <<-EOF | sed 's/^M//' >> file spawn ssh user@server expect "password:" { send "password \n" } expect "$" send "df -k /dev/md/dsk/d10 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Expect script for Cisco IPS Sensors, Expect sleep and quoting

This Expect script provides expect with a list of IP addresses to Cisco IPS sensors and commands to configure Cisco IPS sensors. The user, password, IP addresses, prompt regex, etc. have been anonymized. In general this script will log into the sensors and send commands successfully but there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genewolfe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script Error invalid spawn id (6)

Hi everybody, We are trying to connect to a server and to a router using an .expect script that automatically authenticate the username and password needed. The error is that we cannot connect to the server using ssh AND we cannot connect to the router using either telnet or go commands from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omoyne
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further

Hi, I am trying to write a script to cleanup files in a log directory .. cd log find Datk** -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; 2> /dev/null Have used the above to clean up files in log directory more then 7 days older. The file can be something like ( auto-generate by some processes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling SQL prompt through Perl expect module

Hi All, I have a doubt whether expect module in perl will work in SQL prompt or its applicable only for shell prompt ? Thanks, Arun V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Error Handling on Script

Hi, I need your guys help again. I run a script which check for some process status in a loop. when i check the process some of the process could throw an error, how can i check that inside my script. Thanks, RR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me add Error Handling to my script

Hi all, I have some sections of a script that I am trying to add error handling to. Basically if it returns any error, just continue. This is for a deployment script that i am writing to assist in the deployment of scripts out to other systems. At the top of my KSH script i added this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

error situation handling when starting app from a script

Hi, in my bash script I start 3rd party app that runs quickly normally and returns some data that I use later for processing. However if there are problems the app doesn't return anything and just hangs... then my script also hangs of course, awaiting for the app to comeback. Was wondering how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script FTP maintain error handling

Hi, I have ftp script like below How to insert an error handling, If the transfer failed then send mail to me. Actually, I just need the script to send an email if the FTP failed. How to put the email script within FTP script? Thank You Edy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT Bash Script Error Control

Hello Geeks once more, Thanks for all the help you have been rendering.. I have a script that depends on the output of an expect statement but sometimes the main script misbehaves which I believe is a result of SSH communication error, how can I apply an error control to know whether the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
2 Replies
Test::Expect(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Expect(3pm)

NAME
Test::Expect - Automated driving and testing of terminal-based programs SYNOPSIS
# in a t/*.t file: use Test::Expect; use Test::More tests => 13; expect_run( command => "perl testme.pl", prompt => 'testme: ', quit => 'quit', ); expect("ping", "pong", "expect"); expect_send("ping", "expect_send"); expect_is("* Hi there, to testme", "expect_is"); expect_like(qr/Hi there, to testme/, "expect_like"); DESCRIPTION
Test::Expect is a module for automated driving and testing of terminal-based programs. It is handy for testing interactive programs which have a prompt, and is based on the same concepts as the Tcl Expect tool. As in Expect::Simple, the Expect object is made available for tweaking. Test::Expect is intended for use in a test script. SUBROUTINES
expect_run The expect_run subroutine sets up Test::Expect. You must pass in the interactive program to run, what the prompt of the program is, and which command quits the program: expect_run( command => "perl testme.pl", prompt => 'testme: ', quit => 'quit', ); expect The expect subroutine is the catch all subroutine. You pass in the command, the expected output of the subroutine and an optional comment. expect("ping", "pong", "expect"); expect_send The expect_send subroutine sends a command to the program. You pass in the command and an optional comment. expect_send("ping", "expect_send"); expect_is The expect_is subroutine tests the output of the program like Test::More's is. It has an optional comment: expect_is("* Hi there, to testme", "expect_is"); expect_like The expect_like subroutine tests the output of the program like Test::More's like. It has an optional comment: expect_like(qr/Hi there, to testme/, "expect_like"); expect_handle This returns the Expect object. expect_quit Closes the Expect handle. SEE ALSO
Expect, Expect::Simple. AUTHOR
Leon Brocard, "<acme@astray.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005, Leon Brocard This module is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-06-12 Test::Expect(3pm)