Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: slow performing system
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users slow performing system Post 302598289 by sdewal on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 02:57:05 AM
Old 02-14-2012
slow performing system

Friends

Greetings. I have a RedHat 5.7 64bit virtual server on VMware ESXi 4.1. This server and other Redhat Servers are running very slow. I did some stats collection on ESXi and looks like Linux is holding the disk IO. I am not sure what is causing this behavior.

On Linux I checked the CPU and Mem utilisation which is very low, however I see high disk utilisation which is because of the activity. To copy 30 GB data it takes 7 hours. We are using NOOP disk schedular. This has been recommended by both vmware and redhat. Its not the network because the copy source is on the same virtual infrastructure. We have AMS2500 Storage array. I also sent the perf logs to Hitachi and they did not find any latencies on the storage array side. The LQD is 32.

Can someone please guide us in right direction?

Thanks
Sdewal

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow System

Hi, I have an SCO-Unix server running. There are some processes (unknown to me) which consume a lot of the system resources. This slows down the server dramatically. Is there a command or program that monitors what processes are using the cpu, disk, etc.. and tell me how excessive and how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hansaplast
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

What is lvmkd and why does it slow my system down?

I am running HPUX 11.0 with HP MirrorDisk/UX and recently had a HDD failure and replaced the drive with a new one. I did a "dd" command to copy the new data to the new drive and now I have a bunch of "lvmkd" in my "ps -ef" output. These processes are gobbling up CPU time and slowing my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpetrecca
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

postgresql issues - system running really slow

Hi All, I'm new here. i was wondering if anyone could shed a light on the problem i am having. I use a system for distributing broadband amongst users of for example a hotel, the system was designed by someone in the US and it is based on redhat 2.4 (i know its old) and the system uses... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clive306
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 v245 Busy/Slow System

Hello All, I have noticed that one of my servers, the busiest has become increasingly slow to respond and execute commands, the running applications appear to be fine though. Here is some output from vmstat :- kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wez
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

GFS file system performance is very slow

My code Hi All, I am having redhat linux 5.3 (Tikanga) with GFS file system and its very very slow for executing ls -ls command also.Please see the below for 2minits 12 second takes. Please help me to fix the issue. $ sudo time ls -la BadFiles |wc -l 0.01user 0.26system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow UNIX system this morning

Hi, what would be the first things to check on a system that normally works fine, and is not so fine this morning ? Its accessing menus and various other screens 100x slower than normal. Version: UnixWare 5 7.1.3 i386 SCO UNIX_SVR5 I have tried this pf -ef|grep paulc and found a huge list of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick_Dundee
6 Replies

8. Programming

Performing a while for two files

Hi, This is for Perl. I have a while loop, and would like to process two files, the formats are given below : access access.<previousday>-* How can perform a while loop on both logs, while creating the logic for access.<previousday>-* to get format like "access.20130615-124139" when... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: susankoperna1
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing aggregation in File

Hi, I need help in UNIX shell script to handle the following: I have file called File1.txt which contains data something like below: LibraryName|BookName|Flag-Indicator|COUNT LIB1|BOOK1|A|12 LIB1|BOOK1|A|2 LIB2|BOOK2|I|1 LIB2|BOOK1|I|4 LIB1|BOOK2|A|12 LIB1|BOOK1|I|22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
3 Replies
FENCE_AGENT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    FENCE_AGENT(8)

NAME
fence_vmware - Fence agent for VMWare DESCRIPTION
fence_vmware is an I/O Fencing agent which can be used with the VMware ESX, VMware ESXi or VMware Server to fence virtual machines. Before you can use this agent, it must be installed VI Perl Toolkit or vmrun command on every node you want to make fencing. VI Perl Toolkit is preferred for VMware ESX/ESXi and Virtual Center. Vmrun command is only solution for VMware Server 1/2 (this command will works against ESX/ESXi 3.5 up2 and VC up2 too, but not cluster aware!) and is available as part of VMware VIX API SDK package. VI Perl and VIX API SDK are both available from VMware web pages (not int RHEL repository!). You can specify type of VMware you are connecting to with -d switch (or vmware_type for stdin). Possible values are esx, server2 and server1.Default value is esx, which will use VI Perl. With server1 and server2, vmrun command is used. After you have successfully installed VI Perl Toolkit or VIX API, you should be able to run fence_vmware_helper (part of this agent) or vmrun command. This agent supports only vmrun from version 2.0.0 (VIX API 1.6.0). fence_vmware accepts options on the command line as well as from stdin. Fenced sends parameters through stdin when it execs the agent. fence_vmware can be run by itself with command line options. This is useful for testing and for turning outlets on or off from scripts. Vendor URL: http://www.vmware.com PARAMETERS
-o, --action=<action> Fencing Action (Default Value: reboot) -a, --ip=<ip> IP Address or Hostname This parameter is always required. -l, --username=<name> Login Name This parameter is always required. -p, --password=<password> Login password or passphrase -S, --password-script=<script> Script to retrieve password -n, --plug=<id> Physical plug number or name of virtual machine This parameter is always required. -e, --exec=<command> Command to execute -d, --vmware_type=<type> Type of VMware to connect (Default Value: esx) -x, --ssh SSH connection (Default Value: true) -k, --identity-file=<filename> Identity file for ssh -s, --vmware-datacenter=<dc> Show only machines in specified datacenter -v, --verbose Verbose mode -D, --debug-file=<debugfile> Write debug information to given file -V, --version Display version information and exit -h, --help Display help and exit -C, --separator=<char> Separator for CSV created by operation list (Default Value: ,) --power-timeout Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF (Default Value: 20) --shell-timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command (Default Value: 3) --login-timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login (Default Value: 5) --power-wait Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF (Default Value: 0) --delay Wait X seconds before fencing is started (Default Value: 0) --retry-on Count of attempts to retry power on (Default Value: 1) ACTIONS
on Power on machine. off Power off machine. reboot Reboot machine. status This returns the status of the plug/virtual machine. list List available plugs with aliases/virtual machines if there is support for more then one device. Returns N/A otherwise. monitor Check if fencing device is running. List available plugs/virtual machines or get status of machine (if it does not support more). metadata The operational behavior of this is not known. STDIN PARAMETERS
action Fencing Action (Default Value: reboot) ipaddr IP Address or Hostname This parameter is always required. login Login Name This parameter is always required. passwd Login password or passphrase passwd_script Script to retrieve password port Physical plug number or name of virtual machine This parameter is always required. exec Command to execute vmware_type Type of VMware to connect (Default Value: esx) secure SSH connection (Default Value: true) identity_file Identity file for ssh vmware_datacenter Show only machines in specified datacenter verbose Verbose mode debug Write debug information to given file version Display version information and exit help Display help and exit separator Separator for CSV created by operation list (Default Value: ,) power_timeout Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF (Default Value: 20) shell_timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command (Default Value: 3) login_timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login (Default Value: 5) power_wait Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF (Default Value: 0) delay Wait X seconds before fencing is started (Default Value: 0) retry_on Count of attempts to retry power on (Default Value: 1) fence_vmware (Fence Agent) 2009-10-20 FENCE_AGENT(8)