Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead Post 302598195 by Corona688 on Monday 13th of February 2012 06:35:31 PM
Old 02-13-2012
Because the shell only substitutes once. after it's done substituting in the text from the string, it won't go back and see that it was actually meant as a redirection. To do that kind of double-think, you'd have to feed it into eval.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file / /dev/null

First of all, hello there cOmMuNity ! :cool: Well, I've got two basic questions: 1) In how many ways it's possible to create a file ? I know one manner using "touch", other typing something like echo "" > file ... The fact is that I need to overwrite the file if it exists, and touch... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/NULL can't open this file ??

when i write the following two statements : cp /dev/NULL /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp cat /dev/NULL > /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp its gives me errors like : cp: /dev/NULL: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. cat : /dev/NULL can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

3. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "> /dev/null 2>&1"

Hi, I am new into UNIX shell scripting and I am wondering what is the meaning of the below text which appears at the end of each line in the ".sh" file: > /dev/null 2>&1 For example, the line below: sh $HOME/stats/Rep777/Act_777.sh omc omc > /dev/null 2>&1 I know for sure what "sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: salanalani
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ">/dev/null 2>&1" and "2>&1 >/dev/null"

Does >/dev/null 2>&1 and 2>&1 >/dev/null mean the same? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find error?? find / -name "something.txt" 2>/dev/null

why is this giving me errors? i type this in: find / -name "something.txt" 2>/dev/null i get the following error messages: find: bad option 2 find: path-list predicate-list :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magiling
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null a file using xargs

Hi, I'm currently using the following command to wipe clean a log file which can't be straight out RM'd: cat /dev/null > server.log I'm building this into a script and I'm current working on a command to run on each machine to do this automatically however I have multiple files so I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deehem
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard Error to /dev/null is not working.

Hello. When I run a .ksh that contains the command below, and there is no file available in the source location the "FILE_NAME_*.CSV not found" error is still being displayed. FILEN=$(ssh ${SOURCE_SERV} "cd ${SOURCE_LOCATION} ;ls ${FILES}") 2> /dev/null. This is interfering with the rest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

10. AIX

/dev/null file issue

Hi Experts, I Have a query. In one of my server I just came to know that there was /dev/null file which is a not a character file. Its just a normal file. I know the command to create the character file (/dev/null) but what is the procedure. Like should i delete /dev/null and create or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
7 Replies
J0(3)							   BSD Library Functions Manual 						     J0(3)

NAME
j0, j1, jn, y0, y1, yn -- bessel functions of first and second kind SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> double j0(double x); double j1(double x); double jn(int n, double x); double y0(double x); double y1(double x); double yn(int n, double x); DESCRIPTION
The functions j0(x) and j1(x) compute the Bessel function of the first kind of the order 0 and the order 1, respectively; the function jn(n, x) computes the Bessel function of the first kind of the integer order n. The functions y0(x) and y1(x) compute the linearly independent Bessel function of the second kind of the order 0 and the order 1, respec- tively, for the positive integer value x (expressed as a double); the function yn(n, x) computes the Bessel function of the second kind for the integer order n for the positive integer value x (expressed as a double). SPECIAL VALUES
j0(0) returns 1. j0(+-infinity) returns 0. j0(NaN) returns a NaN. j1(0) returns 0. j1(+infinity) returns 0. j1(NaN) returns a NaN. y0(0) , y1(0) , and yn(n, 0) all return -infinity and raise the "division-by-zero" floating-point flag. 4th Berkeley Distribution July 24, 2003 4th Berkeley Distribution