Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting unknown positional parameter in Bourne shell Post 302597904 by mij on Sunday 12th of February 2012 11:33:10 PM
Old 02-13-2012
I always forget about eval, too much time spent in other languages where similar functions are only desperate last resorts.

That worked perfectly, thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

ls positional parameter

Hi . I am new to Unix. So i have a tough time. we are using Korn Shell. I have a scenario where i have three files namely xxx01,xxx02,xxx03. Now when i write ls xxx*|wc -l output is 3. But then i write `ls $1|wc -l` and pass xxx* as positional parameter (sh yyy.sh xxx*) output is xxx01. other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls positional parameter

Hi . I am new to Unix. So i have a tough time. we are using Korn Shell. I have a scenario where i have three files namely xxx01,xxx02,xxx03. Now when i write ls xxx*|wc -l output is 3. But then i write `ls $1|wc -l` and pass xxx* as positional parameter (sh yyy.sh xxx*) output is xxx01. other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting parameter from file

Hi I have file 128 BES-Exchange BES-Exchange/BES-Exchange.vmx winNetEnterpriseGuest vmx-04 144 BES-SVR BES-SVR/BES-SVR.vmx winNetEnterpriseGuest vmx-04 176 BES AD BES-AD/BES AD.vmx ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bp_vardhaman
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Positional parameter passing

Hi All, When passing parameters to a sheel script, the parameters are referenced by their positions such as $1 for first parameter, $2 for second parameter. these positional values can only have values ranging from $0-$9 (0,1,2,3...9). I have a shell script meant to accept 20 parameters. for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogologoma
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define Positional Parameter Range Awk

Hello All, I am trying to clean up a poorly looking awk command. I am searching for a way to define a range of positional parameters. I may not be searching for the correct syntax. Example: awk ' /14:3*/ {print $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13}' app.log Is it possible to shorten... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Positional Parameters Shell Scripting

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: STEP 1: Create a Bash shell script (myscript) inside the a2 directory. The script should allow the user to pass... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tazb
3 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell

A severe vulnerability was discovered in Bourne shell. Just google for: bash vulnerability ... for more details. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
5 Replies
eval(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  eval(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
eval - Evaluate a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
eval arg ?arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Eval takes one or more arguments, which together comprise a Tcl script containing one or more commands. Eval concatenates all its argu- ments in the same fashion as the concat command, passes the concatenated string to the Tcl interpreter recursively, and returns the result of that evaluation (or any error generated by it). Note that the list command quotes sequences of words in such a way that they are not further expanded by the eval command. EXAMPLE
This procedure acts in a way that is analogous to the lappend command, except it inserts the argument values at the start of the list in the variable: proc lprepend {varName args} { upvar 1 $varName var # Ensure that the variable exists and contains a list lappend var # Now we insert all the arguments in one go set var [eval [list linsert $var 0] $args] } KEYWORDS
concatenate, evaluate, script SEE ALSO
catch(1T), concat(1T), error(1T), list(1T), subst(1T), tclvars(1T) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl eval(1T)