Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IOSTAT monitoring
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting IOSTAT monitoring Post 302597900 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 12th of February 2012 09:40:34 PM
Old 02-12-2012
Experienced programmers get these kinds of specs from users all the time. The first thing you (as an experienced programmer) do is to cut through all of the assumptions.

In this case you have assumed an OS, some sort of shell. iostat has POSIX (standard behaviors) and possibly some add-ons in each UNIX OS. Shells are VERY different - you try process substitution in bash vs ksh if you want an example.... We do not know these things about your request because we all sent our crystal balls in for repair. So anything we provide is likely pointless for you, and a real a waste of your time and ours.

This is how it works in the real world of being a sysadmin or a programmer. Period.

OKAY? So help us out here. If you had to pay our salaries, you'd have to sell your house and your car. So be nice. We are here to help, not harass.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iostat output what is that mean

Hi all, i have run iostat -em, and get below result. Can i know what is this output meaning, and how to fix that problem. iostat -em ---- errors --- device s/w h/w trn tot sd7 0 1 0 1 sd8 1 1 0 2 sd9 0 1 0 1 sd10 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foongkt5220
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to identified this iostat value

Hi All AIX expert i'm using AIX 5.2 When i execute this command which is : ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >> iostat -a System configuration: lcpu=4 disk=30 tty: tin tout avg-cpu: % user % sys % idle % iowait ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
2 Replies

4. Solaris

iostat -Eni

Sorry for asking basics. What exactly is the situation if device ID is same in iostat -Eni. What we must do then? Is there any relation b/w iostat and cfgadm? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayahari
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to use IOSTAT command

Hello everyone, Can you please explain me what kind of information do IOSTAT show ? iostat -xnz 3 show me those informations: The I/O of the c0t0d0 disk is normal ? extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

9. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Iostat inconsistent avgrq-sz

Hi Experts, I have an issue with performance of oracle, the db sits on EBS volumes on and aws EC2 instance. I have captured the iostat data and feed it to iostat_plotter to forward it to the DB administrators. However what I'm trying to understand is the variable avgrq-sz, it is quite in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies
rtprio(1)						      General Commands Manual							 rtprio(1)

NAME
rtprio - execute process with real-time priority SYNOPSIS
priority command [arguments] priority command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with a real-time priority, or changes the real-time priority of currently executing process pid. Real-time priorities range from zero (highest) to 127 (lowest). Real-time processes are not subject to priority degradation, and are all of greater (schedul- ing) importance than non-real-time processes. See rtprio(2) for more details. If is specified instead of a real-time priority, executes command with a timeshare (non-real-time) priority, or changes the currently exe- cuting process pid from a possibly real-time priority to a timeshare priority. The former is useful to spawn a timeshare priority command from a real-time priority shell. If is not specified, command is not scheduled, or pid's real-time priority is not changed, if the user is not a member of a group having access and is not the user with appropriate privileges. When changing the real-time priority of a currently executing process, the effec- tive user ID of the calling process must be the user with appropriate privileges, or the real or effective user ID must match the real or saved user ID of the process to be modified. RETURN VALUE
returns exit status 0 if command is successfully scheduled or if pid's real-time priority is successfully changed, 1 if command is not exe- cutable or pid does not exist, and 2 if command (pid) lacks real-time capability, or the invoker's effective user ID is not a user who has appropriate privileges, or the real or effective user or the real or effective user ID does not match the real or saved user ID of the process being changed. EXAMPLES
Execute file at a real-time priority of 100: Set the currently running process pid 24217 to a real-time priority of 40: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), rtprio(2). rtprio(1)