Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help needed reading the file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed reading the file Post 302597525 by chandu123 on Friday 10th of February 2012 02:40:41 PM
Old 02-10-2012
Hi,

I do agree with the Coroan688. But this is how I am receiving the output when I tried above code.
Code:
while ENV="|" read name type prompt vval
do
  echo " Do stuff with $name, $type, $prompt and $vval"
done < tmp.txt
exit

Do stuff with APT|string|Application, ID, For and App|value

Please help.

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT HELP NEEDED ON -File size reading

All Expert, I am using Sun OS 5.8 and Perl version 5 in One server and Perl 5.8 in another unix server. I am able to read a file using fopen function of perl --file size having more then 3 GB of data.(In the machine where Perl 5.8 install) But when i am running the same perl script --It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jambesh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fatal: cannot open file `TNAME' for reading (No such file or directory)

Hi, I am running this command through a shell script and getting the error mentioned in the subject line: testing.awk -f x.txt TNAME My testing.awk file contains something like ++++++++++++++++++ #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN{ TAB_NAME="INSERT_ONE_" ARGV ; } if ( $1=="JAM_ONE" &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in reading line value into variable

I have a file which has data in 8 lines: 10 34 6 1 4 46 67 31 I am trying to read each value into each different variable so that I use these variables in preparing my report. Another option is to dynamically print each line values in the report like below: users with privA:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarat949
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script reading needed

Hi, I'm just learning so I would appreciate some understanding line by line on the while loop/case script below. Thanks so much. joe. echo "Good Morning." echo "Enter 1 to Add" echo "or q to quit." while do read Enter case $Enter in 1) echo "Addtion:" echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Xml file and print the values into the text file in columnwise?

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
TABS(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TABS(1)

NAME
tabs -- set terminal tabs SYNOPSIS
tabs [-n | -a | -a2 | -c | -c2 | -c3 | -f | -p | -s | -u] [+m[n]] [-T type] tabs [-T type] [+[n]] n1[,n2,...] DESCRIPTION
The tabs utility displays a series of characters that clear the hardware terminal tab settings then initialises tab stops at specified posi- tions, and optionally adjusts the margin. In the first synopsis form, the tab stops set depend on the command line options used, and may be one of the predefined formats or at regular intervals. In the second synopsis form, tab stops are set at positions n1, n2, etc. If a position is preceded by a '+', it is relative to the previous position set. No more than 20 positions may be specified. If no tab stops are specified, the ``standard'' UNIX tab width of 8 is used. The options are as follows: -n Set a tab stop every n columns. If n is 0, the tab stops are cleared but no new ones are set. -a Assembler format (columns 1, 10, 16, 36, 72). -a2 Assembler format (columns 1, 10, 16, 40, 72). -c COBOL normal format (columns 1, 8, 12, 16, 20, 55) -c2 COBOL compact format (columns 1, 6, 10, 14, 49) -c3 COBOL compact format (columns 1, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 67). -f FORTRAN format (columns 1, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23). -p PL/1 format (columns 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 61). -s SNOBOL format (columns 1, 10, 55). -u Assembler format (columns 1, 12, 20, 44). +m[n], +[n] Set an n character left margin, or 10 if n is omitted. -T type Output escape sequence for the terminal type type. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and TERM environment variables affect the execution of tabs as described in environ(7). The -T option overrides the setting of the TERM environment variable. If neither TERM nor the -T option are present, tabs will fail. EXIT STATUS
The tabs utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
expand(1), stty(1), tput(1), unexpand(1), termcap(5) STANDARDS
The tabs utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A tabs utility appeared in PWB UNIX. This implementation was introduced in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The current termcap(5) database does not define the 'ML' (set left soft margin) capability for any terminals. BSD
May 20, 2002 BSD