Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying files with spaces in the filename in a for loop Post 302597435 by methyl on Friday 10th of February 2012 09:55:24 AM
Old 02-10-2012
Quote:
for i in `grep -Eo '[0-9]{3,4}' list-2.txt`; do j=`grep -E $i list-3.txt`; k=`echo "$j"`; cp "$k" cameras ; done;
The "for" command is unsuitable for open-ended lists or for parameters containing spaces or for lists which might be empty. A "while" loop is the preferred method:

Turning your script round and putting quotes round "$i" . Untested because my "grep" doesn't have these options.
Code:
grep -Eo '[0-9]{3,4}' list-2.txt | while read i
do
      grep -E "$i" list-3.txt | while read j
      do
              cp "$j" cameras
      done
done

To my mind $k is not needed because it is the same as $j.

Last edited by methyl; 02-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: mispaste

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files with spaces in filename from one directory to another

Hello, When I run following script #!/bin/bash cd ~/directory1 mv `ls -trF | grep -v / | tail -10 ` ~/directory2 works fine with filenames not having any space but runs into issues with filenames that have spaces tried with $file variable still doesnot work. Can someone help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asakhare
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files with spaces in the filename

Hi I am having difficulty copying files from one dir to another due to a space in the names of the file with an extension .rtf There are a group of files and the command am using is cp `ls -rt /wlblive/home/whiops/ops/RTFs/*.rtf|head -20` /wlblive/home/jamshed Since the files are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamshedj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with spaces in filename

I have a text file containing files in a directory structure i.e. /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_aug03 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/comb8121sep02n /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_feb04_ons /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/corpsick_jun06 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/jcpjoiners200507... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files using $filename

Hi, I've a problem. Here is the code: #!/bin/ksh echo "enter a file name" read a cd /home/linux1/sam if then echo "file exists" cp $a $a_bkp else echo "file doesn't exist" fi when executed the o/p is: enter a file name contact file exists cp: missing destination file (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

6. Solaris

While copying files from windows to Solaris5.8 with filezilla length of the filename changed

Hello I am copying a tar from windows7 to Solaris with filezilla i could see, some characters in the name of the file get deleted. I could see only substring of the filename eg: original filename :abcdefghijklmnopqrstu.h i can see like abcdefghijklm solution to this problem is highly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revathi R
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copying files into dir inside for loop

Hi , I'm trying to move/copy the files inside the loop into a directory . I tried the below code and the issue is the data is not copying into the created directory but the files are copying into another file file_path="/home/etc" Last_Day=20130930 mkdir $file_path/ARC_${Last_Day} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Multiple data files with spaces in the filename

Hi, I have a list of filenames in the format with Spaces in the filename. As an example : Sample File 1.txt Sample File 2.txt Sample File 3.txt.....I have about 100 files like this. I am trying to create a block of code or use an available command to a) Create a file b) Put in some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ban3rj33
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process files in loop which have spaces in name

I have a folder with files and I have to process them in a loop. However the filenames have space characters, so the list get split. $ touch "File Number_1" $ touch "File Number_2" $ ls "/tmp/File Number"_* /tmp/File Number_1 /tmp/File Number_2 I tried following (sorry for using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wernfried
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Script and not opening files containing spaces

Hello, I wrote a simple script, that basically wait for a *.dat-file in a certain folder, which is always a zipped file and extracts it. It worked before and i changed nothing in the script, but since last week i have the problem, that it doesnt extract files containing a space. How do i make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blend_in
4 Replies
GREPDIFF(1)							     Man pages							       GREPDIFF(1)

NAME
grepdiff - show files modified by a diff containing a regex SYNOPSIS
grepdiff [[-n] | [--line-number]] [--number-files] [[-p n] | [--strip-match=n]] [--strip=n] [--addprefix=PREFIX] [[-s] | [--status]] [[-i PATTERN] | [--include=PATTERN]] [[-x PATTERN] | [--exclude=PATTERN]] [[-v] | [--verbose]] [[-E] | [--extended-regexp]] [[-H] | [--with-filename]] [[-h] | [--no-filename]] [--output-matching=WHAT] {[REGEX] | [-f FILE]} [file...] grepdiff {[--help] | [--version] | [--list] | [--filter ...]} DESCRIPTION
For each file modified by a patch, if the patch hunk contains the REGEX then the file's name is printed. The regular expression is treated as POSIX Basic Regular Expression syntax, unless the -E option is given in which case POSIX Extended Regular Expression syntax is used. For example, to see the patches in my.patch which contain the regular expression "pf_gfp_mask", use: grepdiff pf_gfp_mask my.patch | xargs -rn1 filterdiff my.patch -i You can use both unified and context format diffs with this program. OPTIONS
-n, --line-number Display the line number that each patch begins at. If verbose output is requested, each matching hunk is listed as well. For a description of the output format see lsdiff(1). --number-files File numbers are listed, beginning at 1, before each filename. -p n, --strip-match=n When matching, ignore the first n components of the pathname. --strip=n Remove the first n components of the pathname before displaying it. --addprefix=PREFIX Prefix the pathname with PREFIX before displaying it. -s Show file additions, modifications and removals. A file addition is indicated by a "+", a removal by a "-", and a modification by a "!". -i PATTERN, --include=PATTERN Include only files matching PATTERN. -x PATTERN --exclude=PATTERN Exclude files matching PATTERN. -E, --extended-regexp Use POSIX Extended Regular Expression syntax. -H, --with-filename Print the name of the patch file containing each match. -h, --no-filename Suppress the name of the patch file containing each match. -f FILE, --file=FILE Read regular expressions from FILE, one per line. --output-matching=hunk|file Display the matching hunk-level or file-level diffs. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of grepdiff. --filter Behave like filterdiff(1) instead. --list Behave like lsdiff(1) instead. SEE ALSO
filterdiff(1), lsdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Package maintainer patchutils 23 Jan 2009 GREPDIFF(1)