Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: memory limits
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers memory limits Post 302597431 by thegeek on Friday 10th of February 2012 09:43:49 AM
Old 02-10-2012
diskquota's are for storage space - secondary memory ( normally hard disk ). not for memory !!
This User Gave Thanks to thegeek For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar--limits ????

Hi! All, This is True64 Unix, 4.0.F patch kit 4 I have a 15GB Oracle dump file that I have to backup to tape. I am trying to use "tar" to dump it to tape, but tar complained that the file was too big and that it was truncating it!. I am compressing the file using the "compress" utility.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdharmap
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user access limits?

how do i limit access for users so that they can only login via FTP and can only view/make changes to their own directories only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sphiengollie
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.netrc limits in Aix 4.3

Does anyone know what the max char limit is for login in .netrc? Thanks, Jeff (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
0 Replies

4. Linux

limits.conf

Hello! How do make the limits.conf parameters work for a normal user. Ive changed both the hard and soft parameter for the specific user. It used to be 4096 and i changed it to 16384. But when i use the ulimit -n, all i got is permissen denied. Witch i can understand. But my question is? how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limits.conf

I have line in this file that says: username - maxlogins 1 and user can login 2 times instad of one. does enybody know why? and how can I fix that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shooroop
2 Replies

6. Solaris

FTP limits - mput *

I am trying to upload via FTP 11,000 files in a Solaris 8 system. I am using Windows 2000 and its FTP client to upload the files. The command used is mput *.jpg.When the quantity of files reaches 10,000 the upload aborts. Is this problem related with the FTP client ? If yes, another FTP client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waldecy
2 Replies

7. Programming

semaphore limits

Hi Could anybody tell me how can i see the semaphore limits on my system. I am using solaris 8. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

File size limits

I want to increase the file size, I am trying to store the output but it's not storing the whole output in to the file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navintsm
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

10. Programming

Limits on 32 and 64 bit in C++ / C

Hi All, I am getting below run time error I checked the code and see the structure defined as below and using the file position variable typedef struct Get_file { char *current_pathname; unsigned int tot_bytes_io, physical_position; int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
extendfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       extendfs(8)

NAME
extendfs - Extends UFS file systems SYNOPSIS
/sbin/extendfs [- s] [disk_blocks] device_name DESCRIPTION
Use the extendfs command to increase the storage space in a UFS file system. The file system must not be mounted when you perform this operation. To extend a mounted (in use) UFS file system, use the mount command with the -o extend option. The procedure for increasing the storage space of a UFS file system is as follows: Look at the contents the /etc/fstab file to identify the disk partition that maps to the file system. Ensure that there is available storage space on the target disk as follows: If LSM is in use on your system, use LSM commands to increase the size of the LSM volume as described in the Logical Storage Manager guide. If LSM is not in use on your system, use the disklabel command or the diskconfig graphical user interface to check the current size and use of partitions on the disk. If there is adequate space on an adjacent partition, use the disklabel command to write the current label to a file as fol- lows: # disklabel -r dsk4 > d4label Edit the disklabel file to change the size of the partition on which your UFS file system resides. Increase the number of disk blocks on the partition and decrease the disk block size of the adjacent partition by an equivalent number. Use the disklabel command with the -R option to write the revised label to the raw disk as follows: # disklabel -R /dev/rdisk/dsk4 d4label When the disk label is revised, extend the file system using the extendfs command. You can either use the full extent of the newly sized partition or extend the file system in stages. The following example commands show both methods. To extend the file system to use all the available space, you specify the disk partition on which the file system resides, as follows: # extendfs /dev/disk/dsk4g To extend the file system to use only part of the available space, you specify a number of disk blocks, as follows: # extendfs -s 300000 /dev/disk/dsk4g The remainder of the extended partion is reserved for future use. You can extend a file system as many times as necessary, up to the physical limit of the storage device. When no more space is available on the storage device, you must back up the file system using the dump command and restore the file system to a storage device that has more available space. Once you have extended a file system, the operation cannot be reversed except by a back up and restore operation. Use the dump command to back up the file system. You can then reset the partition sizes manually and restore the file system to the storage device. ERRORS
The disklabel command produces output similar to that of the newfs command. If a list of disk blocks is not displayed on the terminal, the command has failed. Verify the partition settings and the mount status of the target file system. The disklabel command does not permit you to overwrite a partition if it is in use. Refer to the disklabel(8) reference page for more information on label errors. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
diskconfig(8), disklabel(8), mount(8), and fstab(4). extendfs(8)