Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pattern match in a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pattern match in a string Post 302597414 by parthmittal2007 on Friday 10th of February 2012 08:49:35 AM
Old 02-10-2012
Code:
awk '{if (/start time/) {print "matched"} else {print "nope"}}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can awk match multi pattern in a string

Hi all, I need to category the processes in my system with awk. And for now, there are several command with similar name, so i have to match more than one pattern to pick it out. for instance: binrundb the string1, 2 & 3 may contain word, number, blank or "/". The "bin" should be ahead "rundb"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match url in string / PERL

Am trying to remove urls from text strings in PERL. I have the following but it does not seem to work: $remarks =~ s/www\.\s+\.com//gi; In English, I want to look for www. then I want to delete the www. and everything after it until I hit a space (but not including the space). It's not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrealty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and replace with string

hi guys, insert into /*<new>*/abc_db.tbl_name this is should be replaced to insert into /*<new>*/${new}.tbl_name it should use '.' as delimiter and replace is there any way to do it using sed (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Pattern Match (replacement string)

Hello, i am splitting files and sometimes the string of the pattern doesnt exist in the input file it starts for example with 00:00:01. So the output is completely desorganized, is there any way of putting a replacement string in the pattern so it will grab all the times from 00:**:** to first... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-plicit78
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating and appending string based on specific pattern match

Input #GEO-1-type-1-fwd-Initial 890 1519 OPKHIJEFVTEFVHIJEFVOPKHIJTOPKEFVHIJTEFVOPKOPKHIJHIJHIJTTOPKHIJHIJEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKHIJOPKEFVEFVOPKHIJHIJEFVHIJHIJEFVTHIJOPKOPKTEFVEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKOPKHIJTTEFVEFVTEFV #GEO-1-type-2-fwd-Terminal 1572 2030... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string to match pattern (data processing)

Hello i have go the following result from performing 2 testing using the same file. I have used unix script to extract the result because the files are many as shown below. 01_gravity.f.tcov 7 3 42.86 02_gravity.f.tcov 9 4 80.86... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing pattern match for a string that might be intermingle with other strings

I have a log file that display the serial output coming from different places. Sometime the string in search gets clobbered with the other strings and consequently change form. For example: serial ouput: -------------- hello world! done with network configuring asic registers comJan 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK break string into fields + pattern match

I am trying to break a string into separate fields and print the field that matches a pattern. I am using awk at the moment and have gotten this far: awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;++i)print "\t" $i}' longstring This breaks the string into fields and prints each field on a separate line. I want to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Match & Extract from a string

Hi, I have long string in 2nd field, as shown below: REF1 | CLESCLJSCSHSCSMSCSNSCSRSCUDSCUFSCU7SCV1SCWPSCXGPDBACAPA0DHDPDMESED6 REF2 | SBR4PCBFPCDRSCSCG3SCHEBSCKNSCKPSCLLSCMCZXTNPCVFPCV6P4KL0DMDSDSASEWG I have a group of fixed patterns which can occur in these long strings & only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match only the pattern string , not letters or numbers after that.

Hi Experts, I am finding difficulty to get exact match: file OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE="" DHCP_ENABLE=0 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3:1"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)