Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo and grep commands
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo and grep commands Post 302597305 by Sundown on Friday 10th of February 2012 12:25:46 AM
Old 02-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamed101
Try this..
Code:
#!/bin/bash
linenum=$( grep -w -n a9ced3dad556814ed46042de696e1849 file2.txt | cut -f1 -d: )
sed -n "$linenum p" file1.txt

--ahamed
YES. It Works!

But Im trying to call this command (sed -n "$linenum p" file1.txt) from a pipeline in C and I doesn't works ... And I think the error is the double quotes can i run the command something different.. sed -n $linenum p file1.txt (but this way doesn't work)

look my var

Code:
char sed[1024] = "sed -n "$linenum" p file.txt;

Thankss in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question of echo | grep command

Hi, i've got the following: a=`echo $b | grep '^.*/'` i'm storing in the variable the value of the variable b only if it has a / somewhere. It works, but i don't want to print the value. How do i give the value of b to the grep command without the echo? thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I output or echo NONE if grep does not find anything?

I am performing a grep command and I need to know how to echo "NONE" or "0" to my file if grep does not find what i am looking for. echo What i found >> My_File grep "SOMETHING" >> My_File I am sure this is easy, I am sort of new at this! Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with grep and echo

Can't get this to work. Something is wrong with the systax maybe. :o if ] && ] ; then: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstone
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH, Remote Commands and echo, oh my!

So, HostB has a SSH trust via pre-shared keys from HostA. HostA> ssh HostB hostname HostB HostA> ssh HostB echo `hostname` HostA HostA> ssh HostB 'echo `hostname`' `hostname` HostA> ssh HostB "echo `hostname`" HostA HostA> ssh HostB echo $PS1 user@HostA:$PWD HostA> ssh HostB... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrathe
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice using cut & echo combination commands

Hi, I am cutting data from a fixed length test file and then writing out a new record using the echo command, the problem I have is how to stop multiple spaces from being written to the output file as a single space. Example: cat filea | while read line do field1=`echo $line | cut -c1-2` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a hard time with the sed/echo commands?

Hello, well what I'm trying to do is to remove underscores from filenames and leaving empty spaces instead: arturas@Universe:/windows/Center/training$ ls big_file failas su shudu arturas@Universe:/windows/Center/training$ a=big_file arturas@Universe:/windows/Center/training$ mv $a `echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcelivez
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo out running commands

Is there any way in a script to print out the commands being ran? In DOS script, there is the "@echo on" and "@echo off". so I have a script like this: #!/bin/ksh echo "hello there. moving files." <turn on echoing here> cp thisfile.txt thatfile.txt cp whatfile.prop whyfile.prop <turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronron5477
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo, grep and wc and outputing to text file

My current line command is as follows: echo -n "text: " ; grep "blah text" ../dir1/filename | wc -l The output to the screen is as needed, but how do I print to a text file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Echo and grep issues

Is there an environment issue that would not allow the following not store and pass the value into this field: underScorePresent=`echo $USER | grep "_" | wc -l` It is running on a new redhat 6.5 OS. The value $USER is set to cpac. It is a vendor code and they are saying it is environment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Behaviour of echo commands used by Linux admins

version info : Fedora 28 (Kernel version: 4.16.12-300) shell : bash Using echo command , if I redirect a text like "Chocolate" to a file , all the contents in the file are overwritten as shown below. # cat /tmp/someTest Hello world One more Hello world myLine3 # echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)