Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: list files command output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting list files command output Post 302597283 by kannan84 on Thursday 9th of February 2012 11:21:44 PM
Old 02-10-2012
list files command output

Hi All,

Below is the 2 different ouputs of the command "ls -lrt", my question is what exactly "total 0" & "total 8" means here ?

HTML Code:
$ ls -rtl
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 oracle   dba               0 Feb 10 20:16 c
-rw-r--r--    1 oracle   dba               0 Feb 10 20:16 b
-rw-r--r--    1 oracle   dba               0 Feb 10 20:16 a
drwxr-xr-x    2 oracle   dba             256 Feb 10 20:16 new
HTML Code:
$ ls -rtl
total 8
-rw-r--r--    1 oracle   dba              11 Feb 10 20:16 a
Regards
Kamal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to suppress list number from history command output

i run history command and I want to eliminate the list number. So far this perl script works as long as the list is a exact 3 character long. cat dd | perl -pe 's,\d{3},,' 70 export JAVA_HOME=. 81 export JAVA_HOME=. 82 export JAVA_HOME=`pwd` export JAVA_HOME=`pwd` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soemac
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need a script to find socials in files and output a list of those files

I am trying to find socail security numbers in files in (and under) a specific directory and output a list of the files where they are found... the format would be with no dashes just 9 numeric characters in a row. I have tried this: find /DirToLookIn -exec grep '\{9\}' /dev/null {} \; >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - how to make output of a command a numbered list

Hi there, just wondered if somebody could help me with a problem I have I have a program that when run from the command line will output a list of objects # list_servers server1 server5 server7 server8 # I just wanted to know, in perl, how can i make each line of output from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of command in comma separated list

Hi; I have an output of a particular command say $command fstl:r-x ajay:r-x how can i get this in comma separated list, eg: fstl:r-x,ajay:r-x Thnks; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields from class list files to use output with newusers command

Hello I am trying to develop a shell script that takes a text file such as this... E-mail@ Soc.Sec.No. *--------Name-----------* Class *School.Curriculum.Major.* Campus.Phone JCC2380 XXX-XX-XXXX CAREY, JULIE C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 JAC1936 XXX-XX-XXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slatoms
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate files and output list

Gents, I have a file like this. 1 1 1 2 2 3 2 4 2 5 3 6 3 7 4 8 5 9 I would like to get something like it 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 3 6 7 Thanks in advance for your support :b: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process select list of files and output to the same file?

Hi, I've a list of files ac_info.tps, subscription_array.tps, .......and many other files one of the file, bin_range_list.tps has the following content CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE "BIN_RANGE_LIST" AS TABLE OF BIN_RANGE_ELEM; / grant execute on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files output only for the last line

Hi, "ls -tl directory1" will list files to be sorted in mtime, but I don't want to see all the files in each directory, I want to only see output the last line (the oldest mtime) for each directory. $ ls -tl test1 -rw-r--r-- 1 hce hce 1714397 May 30 2013 b.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 hce hce 4678 May... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies
VM_STAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						VM_STAT(1)

NAME
vm_stat -- show Mach virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vm_stat [[-c count] interval] DESCRIPTION
vm_stat displays Mach virtual memory statistics. If the optional interval is specified, then vm_stat will display the statistics every interval seconds. In this case, each line of output displays the change in each statistic (an interval count of 1 displays the values per second). However, the first line of output following each banner displays the system-wide totals for each statistic. If a count is pro- vided, the command will terminate after count intervals. The following values are displayed: Pages free the total number of free pages in the system. Pages active the total number of pages currently in use and pageable. Pages inactive the total number of pages on the inactive list. Pages speculative the total number of pages on the speculative list. Pages throttled the total number of pages on the throttled list (not wired but not pageable). Pages wired down the total number of pages wired down. That is, pages that cannot be paged out. Pages purgeable the total number of purgeable pages. Translation faults the number of times the "vm_fault" routine has been called. Pages copy-on-write the number of faults that caused a page to be copied (generally caused by copy-on-write faults). Pages zero filled the total number of pages that have been zero-filled on demand. Pages reactivated the total number of pages that have been moved from the inactive list to the active list (reactivated). Pages purged the total number of pages that have been purged. File-backed pages the total number of pages that are file-backed (non-swap) Anonymous pages the total number of pages that are anonymous Uncompressed pages the total number of pages (uncompressed) held within the compressor Pages used by VM compressor: the number of pages used to store compressed VM pages. Pages decompressed the total number of pages that have been decompressed by the VM compressor. Pages compressed the total number of pages that have been compressed by the VM compressor. Pageins the total number of requests for pages from a pager (such as the inode pager). Pageouts the total number of pages that have been paged out. Swapins the total number of compressed pages that have been swapped out to disk. Swapouts the total number of compressed pages that have been swapped back in from disk. If interval is not specified, then vm_stat displays all accumulated statistics along with the page size. Mac OS X August 13, 1997 Mac OS X