Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Anatomy of DOS
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Anatomy of DOS Post 302597280 by agama on Thursday 9th of February 2012 11:01:25 PM
Old 02-10-2012
This might help:
COMMAND.COM, SHELL and COMSPEC

However, I'd install something like UWIN from AT&T Labs-Research which will give you all of your favourite, good, *nix commands in that hostile environment.

The title is odd... this is the link to AT&T Labs Research download page that includes UWIN
software download selections
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

What if I have a really, really, really, old DOS?

Lately I've been trying to fix a 1991 Packard Bell, it's been running fine, but it's eating my memory for fun and taking away my pages. Is it worth my time trying to fix it, and is it possible to put new programs on it? thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saz43
9 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

DOS Keys not working

Hi, In my MSDOS version on windows'98, many keys are not working. I feel that my version is old and I wnt to update it. Can anyone tell me how can i do so. Please tell me soon. Thanks a lot. -Kinnaree :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DOS to Unix translator

I know nothing of unix and didn't know where to start. I've heard of a DOS to Unix translator, and since I know DOS pretty well, I thought that this program would be perfect. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Bryan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bferguson
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Viruses sneeking through MS-DOS?

I had just recently experienced, a bad experience... Apperently, a worm got into my computer a created itself in my MS-DOS. No serious damage was done, but I did a little study on it, through my computer. The virus got thought my scan, by coding itself as an HTML file. Don't know why it did that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdk_mkr
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DOS command for ps

I have navigated every DOS and UNIX FAQ to find the DOS equivalent of the UNIX ps command (ps -f would be even better) but all listings of DOS<>UNIX commands do not have it (they all have the same basic commands listed). DOS must have a way of detecting running processes and TSRs. mem /c is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dancingfool
7 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Ms-DOS Download

Please where can i get the origanal MS-DOS, I need it. Not mandatory but botting from a floppy is best. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irish Jimmy
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how I change dir in dos

Hi I have a dos batch file in window server where I call a cmd command for creating some db. this cmd commad is located in e:\data\abcd\xyz.cmd. Now I call this batch file from unix ssh.sh but my access point is D in window server here I want to change the dos prompt to e:\data\abcd. in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamil Qadir
3 Replies

8. Linux

dos-path / un-dos-path compatibility with cygwin

Hello ; I have a problem running some script on dos . when i run : C: ls /temp ls: cannot access /temp: No such file or directory but when i run C: ls \temp windriver backup remotebackup also when i run C: ls temp windriver backup remotebackup The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mulder20
4 Replies

9. Linux

Dos shell

Dear all, I am trying to write a unix shell with C++ that is similar to Windows command line. I planned to call it Dosh (DOS-sHell).That means you can directly run dos or win32 console programs with it. It will be distributed according to the license g GPL. Any advice? (This is my first c++ program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgarteo95
3 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

What I think is a DoS attack

About 3 days ago our Apache logs started filling with the following errors: mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server <weberver>:443, client 41.235.234.172) (OpenSSL library error follows) OpenSSL: error:1408A0B7:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no ciphers specified These initially were... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies
mwrite(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mwrite(1)

NAME
mwrite - mtools utility to perform a low level write (copy) of a UNIX file to DOS SYNOPSIS
mwrite [-mntv] unixfile msdosfile mwrite [-mntv] unixfile [unixfiles...] [msdosdirectory] OPTIONS
Preserves the file modification time. Specifies that a warning is not issued when an existing file is specified as the target file. If this option is not specified, the mwrite command verifies whether or not to overwrite an existing file. Specifies a text file transfer. Line terminators are converted to the appropriate format. Specifies verbose mode. Displays the new file name if the UNIX file name requires conversion. DESCRIPTION
The mwrite command copies the specified UNIX file to the named DOS file, or copies multiple UNIX files to the named DOS directory. The destination directory cannot be omitted. Reasonable care is taken to create a valid DOS file name. If an invalid name is specified, the mwrite command changes the name, then displays the new name if the -v option is specified. DOS subdirectory names that contain the '/' or '' separator are supported. If you use the '' separator or wildcards, you must enclose file names in quotes to protect them from the shell. The mcd command can be used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to DOS), otherwise the default is A:. Not all UNIX file names are supported in the DOS world. The mwrite command may have to change UNIX names to fit the DOS file name conven- tions. The following table shows some examples of file name conversions: ----------------------------------------------- UNIX name DOS name Reason for the change ----------------------------------------------- thisisatest THISISAT file name too long file.stuff FILE.STU extension too long prn.txt XRN.TXT PRN is a device name .abc X.ABC null file name hot+cold HOTXCOLD illegal character ----------------------------------------------- EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Success. Failure. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mwrite: If set, this variable names the file that contains the name of the cur- rent mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this variable is not set, the file $HOME/.mcwd is used. FILES
Contains the name of the current mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this file does not exist, the default mtools working directory is A:. Executable file SEE ALSO
Commands: dos2unix(1) mcd(1), mcopy(1), mdiskcopy(1), mkmanifest(1), mread(1), mtools(1), unix2dos(1) mwrite(1)