Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers getting the full permissions of a file Post 302597251 by bjhum33 on Thursday 9th of February 2012 07:01:45 PM
Old 02-09-2012
ok i figured it all out thanks alot i really appreciate your help

---------- Post updated at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:14 PM ----------

Hi the newPerm = oldPerm | ####; is working in my code but for some reason each case of newPerm = oldPerm & ~####; is returning an error that reads "parameter names without types in function declaration, i think when this is being called...
chmod(file, newPerm); what could be the problem?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Full File System

Hi All, There was a background process running on a Solaris 2.8 machine, and appeared to have filled all available disk-space. I done a killall, and upon re-booting found that the file system had filled up, and will not boot as normal as a result. For example, I'm getting /usr/adm/messages: No... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file with full permissions

I am running sco openserver 5.0.6 and I was wondering if I could ftp files to one of my other servers and that file have full permissions set automatically on the new server. I have searched the internet and manned chmod chown and ftp but they only seem to talk about giving the permissions after... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
7 Replies

3. Solaris

File system full?

Hi, I just started working with UNIX on an old semi-fossilized Sun workstation which I use to process LOTS of images,however, I just started to get an error message that the file system is full and then my shell tool or/and text editor freeze up. Help? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bend
8 Replies

4. Solaris

file system full

I am receving following Error message in /var/adm/messages "NOTICE: alloc: /: file system full" Disk space usage is as beklow: df -k $ Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 76678257 56962561 18948914 76% / /proc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
8 Replies

5. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

File system full, but not really.

Hey all, What do you think mostly happened in the following situation? I have a Red Hat 5.5 server. Someone, somehow, managed to get two .nfs000.... type files that totaled over a terabyte in size. I removed them and thought things were back to normal. Then I started getting complains from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geelsu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

List full File system permissions

I am attempting to get a baseline of deployed RHEL 6.5 servers and need to produce a full filesystem permission settings list.....but I forgot the bloody command and am racking my brain and now have a migraine. I just need a simple list starting at "/" right down the tree, listing the folder,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: strykergli250hp
3 Replies

9. AIX

100% Inode full with only 67% FS full.

AIX Version 6.1 and 7.1. I understand that when the OS initially creates the FS and inodes, its pretty strict, but not always tuned to a 1:1 ratio. I see the same thing when adding a whole disk LV to a separate device. It seems that when we expand a filesystem the inodes don't get tuned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies
Tcl_Access(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						     Tcl_Access(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Access, Tcl_Stat - check file permissions and other attributes SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_Access(path, mode) int Tcl_Stat(path, statPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *path (in) Native name of the file to check the attributes of. int mode (in) Mask consisting of one or more of R_OK, W_OK, X_OK and F_OK. R_OK, W_OK and X_OK request checking whether the file exists and has read, write and execute permissions, respectively. F_OK just requests checking for the existence of the file. struct stat *statPtr (out) The structure that contains the result. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
As of Tcl 8.4, the object-based APIs Tcl_FSAccess and Tcl_FSStat should be used in preference to Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat, wherever possi- ble. There are two reasons for calling Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat rather than calling system level functions access and stat directly. First, the Windows implementation of both functions fixes some bugs in the system level calls. Second, both Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat (as well as Tcl_OpenFileChannelProc) hook into a linked list of functions. This allows the possibility to reroute file access to alternative media or access methods. Tcl_Access checks whether the process would be allowed to read, write or test for existence of the file (or other file system object) whose name is pathname. If pathname is a symbolic link on Unix, then permissions of the file referred by this symbolic link are tested. On success (all requested permissions granted), zero is returned. On error (at least one bit in mode asked for a permission that is denied, or some other error occurred), -1 is returned. Tcl_Stat fills the stat structure statPtr with information about the specified file. You do not need any access rights to the file to get this information but you need search rights to all directories named in the path leading to the file. The stat structure includes info regarding device, inode (always 0 on Windows), privilege mode, nlink (always 1 on Windows), user id (always 0 on Windows), group id (always 0 on Windows), rdev (same as device on Windows), size, last access time, last modification time, and creation time. If path exists, Tcl_Stat returns 0 and the stat structure is filled with data. Otherwise, -1 is returned, and no stat info is given. KEYWORDS
stat, access Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Access(3)