Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script to Compress All Subdirectories Post 302597155 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of February 2012 11:12:36 AM
Old 02-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by furashgf
Wow, thank you both. Gosh, I love the "little pieces" way Unix works. Here's what I'd change:
1. move from plain text to XML as the transfer method (hidden from user) as the default communication method;
We have a single column of data here. What value does XML add? Imagine a pipe chain failing because you got the name of a field slightly wrong in one of your commands. xml isn't appropriate for streaming, besides.

I can only see the value of XML for data which isn't easily stored in a simple, tabular format.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-09-2012 at 12:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compress script

Hi, How wud I script a particular log file to be compressed at a particular time and to be uncompressed after say 2 hours ? Im on a aix 3.2 box . file to be compressed --- > # pwd # /zssps/sps06/slogfile Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needed for compress

i hav 200 logs files in a folder i want compress only the files having size more than 10 mb . please provide a script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkhankk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script in saved in compress format

hi please help me i have scripts saved in compress format in sever Cherrs naveen.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Gzip files in Directory and itīs Subdirectories

Hello dear Community, I have a task to wrtie a script which will gzip not zipped files in a directory and itīs subdirectories. I succeeded in gzippung the directory but not the subdirectories: #/bin/bash #go to the directory where to zip cd $1 #Zip unzipped files for i in `ls | xargs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress files as per timestamp in multiple subdirectories

I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me with this code A directory with multiple subdirectories has multiple files which are timestamp'ed. We need to - compress files as per timestamp - save compressed file/s in the respective folder - delete the source files ============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreewin7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to compress the file for yesterday.

Hi, I want to write script for the last 5 files to compress. #!/bin/sh a= ls -ltr | awk '{print $9}' | head -5 | tail -3 echo `compress $a` exit 0 but this was telling "not found" please modify the script if i am wrong. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script monitor directory and subdirectories for new pdfs

I need bash script that monitor folders for new pdf files and create xml file for rss feed with newest files on the list. I have some script, but it reports errors. #!/bin/bash SYSDIR="/var/www/html/Intranet" HTTPLINK="http://TYPE.IP.ADDRESS.HERE/pdfs" FEEDTITLE="Najnoviji dokumenti na... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: markus1981
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create new directory by date followed by identifier and additional subdirectories

I have a bash that downloads a list and if that list has data in it then a new main directory is created (with the date) with several subdirectories (example1, example2, example3). My question is in that list there are portion of specific file types (.vcf.gz) - identifier towards the end that have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
ns_zlib(3aolserver)					     AOLserver Zlib Extension					       ns_zlib(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_zlib - Zlib compression support SYNOPSIS
ns_zlib compress string ns_zlib gunzip file ns_zlib gzip string ns_zlib gzipfile file ns_zlib uncompress string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ns_zlib command enables compressing and uncompressing of strings or files. The command is available if the nszlib.so module is loaded into AOLserver or the libnszlib.so, nszlib.dll, or libnszlib.dylib dynamic library is loaded using the load command in a suitable tclsh such as nstclsh. ns_zlib compress string This command compresses the given string and returns a Tcl byte array object with the compressed data. ns_zlib gunzip file This command uncompresses the contents of the given gzipped file and returns a string as the result. ns_zlib gzipfile file This command is similar to the gzip shell routines, compressing the given file into a new file with the .gz extension. If success- ful, the original uncompressed file is deleted. ns_zlib uncompress bytearray This command takes a byte array object which includes compressed data and returns an uncompressed string object. EXAMPLES
The following examples demonstrate compressing and uncompressing a string; # Compress Tcl string set test "This is test string" set data [ns_zlib compress $test] set test [ns_zlib uncompress $data] --> returns "This is test string" # Compress the string into gzip format set gzip [ns_zlib gzip $test] # Save as gzip file set fd [open /tmp/test.gz w] fconfigure $fd -translation binary -encoding binary puts -nonewline $fd $gzip close $fd # Uncompress gzipped file set test [ns_zlib gunzip /tmp/test.gz] --> returns "This is test string" SEE ALSO
ns_adp_ctl(n), load(n) KEYWORDS
GZIP, compress, uncompress AOLserver 4.5 ns_zlib(3aolserver)