Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Poor Performance of server
Operating Systems AIX Poor Performance of server Post 302597131 by zxmaus on Thursday 9th of February 2012 09:42:11 AM
Old 02-09-2012
From the data you provided so far, you have 1 raidset raid 10 from SAS (so internal storage) disks of a total of 1 TB (presented to the system as 1 disk) for 6 DBs and anything else running on the system excluding root - this just asks for problems as you access all your storage just with one serial path.

Even worse all your filesystems are sharing the same logfile and if I assume correctly and your filesystems are not mounted with noatime option that means that every single read (which includes as simple things as ls) and every single write of 8 different filesystems concur about access to the logfile which by nature makes this logfile naturally the hotspot of the entire system.

Still waiting for the vmstat outputs but I bet that your system has only the default filesystem tuning and is running out of buffers most of the time.

Can you post lvmo -a -v oravg output please to confirm?

Regarding aio - dont worry - on AIX 6.1 you find it with the ioo -a | grep aio command but AIX will turn it on automatically if oracle or any other application wants to use it.

filesystem_io_options is a variable set within oracle (ask your DBA) and can be set to none (standard I think in your oracle version), async or setall - the setall option lets decide oracle to use cio with async IO but wont let you access open database files outside of the database itself other than with rman which might be a problem if you dont do rman backups.

Please run a simple mount on the box to allow us to see if you are using any mount options on the filesystems.

So far

- consider to give each of your oravg filesystems its very own logfile
- consider another storage solution and a different filesystem layout if possible since 6 DBs in the same filesystem - even if this filesystem has its own logfile, are still not such a great idea. If that is not possible, than your disk will naturally stay busy since you only have one.

Regards
zxmaus

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba on E3500 Poor Performance!!!

Hi you all, I have a BIG performance problem on an Sun E3500, the scenario is described below: I have several users (30) accessing via samba to the E3500 using an application built on Visual Foxpro from their Windows PC , the problem is that the first guy that logs in demands 30% of the E3500... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex blanco
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Poor read performance on sun storedge a1000

Hello, i have a a1000 connected to an e6500. There's a raid 10 (12 disks) on the a1000. If i do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/1 bs=1024k count=1000 and then look at iostat it tells me there's a kw/s of 25000. But if i do a dd of=/dev/zero if=/mnt/1 bs=1024k count=1000 then i see only a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbrenner
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

poor performance processing file with awk

Hello, I'm running a script on AIX to process lines in a file. I need to enclose the second column in quotation marks and write each line to a new file. I've come up with the following: #!/bin/ksh filename=$1 exec >> $filename.new cat $filename | while read LINE do echo $LINE | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scooter53080
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HW Raid poor io performance

Hello all We just built a storage cluster for our new xenserver farm. Using 3ware 9650SE raid controllers with 8 x 1TB WD sata disks in a raid 5, 256KB stripe size. While making first performance test on the local storage server using dd (which simulates the read/write access to the disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roli8200
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Poor Disk performance on ZFS

Hello, we have a machine with Solaris Express 11, 2 LSI 9211 8i SAS 2 controllers (multipath to disks), multiport backplane, 16 Seagate Cheetah 15K RPM disks. Each disk has a sequential performance of 220/230 MB/s and in fact if I do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/<diskID_1> bs=1024k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golemico
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Poor disk performance however no sign of failure

Hello guys, I have two servers performing the same disk operations. I believe one server is having a disk's impending failure however I have no hard evidence to prove it. This is a pair of Netra 210's with 2 drives in a hardware raid mirror (LSI raid controller). While performing intensive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Poor performance on an M3000

Hi We have an M3000 single physical processor and 8gb of memory running Solaris 10. This system runs two Oracle Databases one on Oracle 9i and One on Oracle 10g. As soon as the Oracle 10g database starts we see an immediate drop in system performance, for example opening an ssh session can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
6 Replies

8. AIX

ISCSI poor performance 1.5MB/s fresh install AIX7.1

Hi Everyone, I have been struggling for few days with iSCSI and thought I could get some help on the forum... fresh install of AIX7.1 TL4 on Power 710, The rootvg relies on 3 SAS disks in RAID 0, 32GB Memory The lpar Profile is using all of the managed system's resources. I have connected... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
11 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina

Just a quick note for macOS users. I just installed (and removed) Parallels Desktop 15 Edition on my MacPro (2013) with 64GB memory and 12-cores, which is running the latest version of macOS Catalina as of this post. The reason for this install was to test some RIGOL test gear software which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
atsutil(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						atsutil(8)

NAME
atsutil -- font registration system utility SYNOPSIS
atsutil fonts [-list | -verify] atsutil databases [-remove | -removeUser] atsutil server [-ping | -shutdown] atsutil help DESCRIPTION
atsutil tool controls some aspects of the font registration system. It may be used to modify font auto activation settings, font protection settings, remove font registration databases and caches, or restart the font registration daemon. fonts enumerates all fonts available to processes in the OS. It also performs a consistency check of the fonts available via font management APIs. databases will remove fontd System or User databases along with any cache files. Removing databases may cause the loss of font registration state: fonts activated outside the standard font directories, font faces disabled, and font libraries. New databases will be regenerated from fonts installed the standard font directories after the user logs out, restarts, or the fontd server is restarted. server queries the status of fontd or shutdowns the fontd. Shutting down the fontd will spawn a new fontd. Shutting down the server is NOT recommended and will likely lead to misrendered text or application crashes. OPTIONS
fonts [-list | -verify] -list lists and performs a consistency check on registered fonts. -verify performs consistency a check on registered fonts. databases [-remove | -removeUser] -remove remove fontd databases for active user and system (used when no one is logged in and some background processes). -removeUser remove fontd databases for the active user only. server [-ping | -shutdown] -ping query running fontd. -shutdown shutdown fontd and spawn a new fontd. NOTE: this action is not recommended. See above. SEE ALSO
fontd(8) HISTORY
atsutil first appeared in MacOS X 10.5. Mac OS June 1, 2019 Mac OS