Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines Post 302597113 by balajesuri on Thursday 9th of February 2012 08:17:42 AM
Old 02-09-2012
tail -F is same as tail -f --retry

Code:
man tail
       --retry
              keep trying to open a file even if it is inaccessible when tail starts or if it becomes inaccessible later; useful when  following  by  name,  i.e., with --follow=name

Available on GNU/Linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting n consecutive lines from a file...

Hi, I have this problem of separating 10 consecutive lines from a file, say starting from 21 to 30... I have used a filter like this.. head -n 30 myfile | tail -n 10 Is there a simpler way than this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to scan only new lines added in file?

Hi, I am planning to implement a scheduled script that will go against my log files (every hour), search for a set of key words (errors, exceptions, faults etc). The script must be intelligent enough to scan only the new lines added to the log file since it last ran. I can use grep for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging of 2 consecutive lines in a file for a specific pattern

Hi , I'm looking for a way to merge two lines only for a given pattern / condition. Input : abcd/dad + -49.201 2.09 -49.5 34 ewrew rewtre * fdsgfds/dsgf/sdfdsfasdd + -4.30 0.62 -49.5 45 sdfdsf cvbbv * sdfds/retret/asdsaddsa + ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice_man
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find time difference between two consecutive lines in same file.

Hello I have a file in following format: IV 08:09:07 NM 08:12:01 IC 08:12:00 MN 08:14:20 NM 08:14:15 I need a script to compare time on each line with previous line and show the inconsecutive line. Ex.: 08:12:00 08:14:15 A better way... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilibit
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete two consecutive lines from the file

Hi guys I am deleting a unique line from the file and also need to remove the line above it which is NOT unique and servers as a record separator. Here is an example: # 101 803E 823F 8240 # 102 755f 4F2A 4F2B # 290 747D 0926 0927 # 999 8123 813E ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text

i want to write a shell script that correct a text file.for example if i have the input file: "john has has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges oranges" i want that the output file be like this: "john has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges" i've tried to read line by line from input text file into array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing consecutive lines in a file

We have very large transaction logs that have transactions which start with a line that starts with 'Begin :' and ends with a line that starts with 'End :'. For most transactions there is valid data between those two lines. I am trying to get rid of lines that look like this: Begin :... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete 26 consecutive lines in a file

I have a text file that is about 90,000 lines long. How would I delete lines 64-89, 152-177, 240-265, 328-353... etc? The sections I would like to delete are 26 lines long and the number of lines between the sections I would like to delete is 62 lines. Thanks very much in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep 2 consecutive lines and replace the second line in a file

I have a file lake this cat ex1.txt </DISCOUNTS> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <DESCR>Netti 2 </DESCR> <NUMBER>D02021507505</NUMBER> </B2B_SPECIFICATION> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="1"> <DESCR>Puhepaketti</DESCR>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhoni
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
Thread::Queue(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Thread::Queue(3pm)

NAME
Thread::Queue - thread-safe queues SYNOPSIS
use Thread::Queue; my $q = new Thread::Queue; $q->enqueue("foo", "bar"); my $foo = $q->dequeue; # The "bar" is still in the queue. my $foo = $q->dequeue_nb; # returns "bar", or undef if the queue was empty my $left = $q->pending; # returns the number of items still in the queue DESCRIPTION
A queue, as implemented by "Thread::Queue" is a thread-safe data structure much like a list. Any number of threads can safely add elements to the end of the list, or remove elements from the head of the list. (Queues don't permit adding or removing elements from the middle of the list). FUNCTIONS AND METHODS
new The "new" function creates a new empty queue. enqueue LIST The "enqueue" method adds a list of scalars on to the end of the queue. The queue will grow as needed to accommodate the list. dequeue The "dequeue" method removes a scalar from the head of the queue and returns it. If the queue is currently empty, "dequeue" will block the thread until another thread "enqueue"s a scalar. dequeue_nb The "dequeue_nb" method, like the "dequeue" method, removes a scalar from the head of the queue and returns it. Unlike "dequeue", though, "dequeue_nb" won't block if the queue is empty, instead returning "undef". pending The "pending" method returns the number of items still in the queue. SEE ALSO
threads, threads::shared perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Thread::Queue(3pm)