Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trim spaces in unix for variable Post 302597081 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 9th of February 2012 07:04:30 AM
Old 02-09-2012
Try losing the $ signs in the gsub statements.
You cannot assign gsub to a variable, it only returns the exit status
What is a sample input line?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim white spaces using awk

Hi, I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk. C,FOOTER , 00000642 C,FOOTER , 00000707 C, FOOTER,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete spaces in the variable in unix script?

Hi All, I need your help.I want to know how to delete the spaces in a variable in unix scripting.Please give solution to this probelm... thanks ! :confused: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: MARY76
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TRIM spaces in shell

am get a value like ' 15' in a variable what is the easiest method i can follow to strip 15 out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces and replacing value

Hi, I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor ~? ~ ~783.9 .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kelly woodburg ~nancy ~ ~? Now each row in the file has value for 7 columns with "~" as delimiter. The requirement was i)I need to erase the blank spaces between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim spaces

All, i am comparing the output of one command to a numberic if ] but my problem is the output of follwoing is but but has some leading columns. I don't have any problme in LINUX and HP-UX. But only in AIX i am getting the leading spaces. I have developed my script on LINUX but when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a numeric value from Oracle to UNIX variable without spaces?

Hi, I am using the below code to get a numeric value from oracle to unix variable: BD_RC_CNT=`sqlplus -s ${WMD_DM_CONNECT} <<EOF set heading off set pagesize 0 Select count(*) from wmd_bad_data where proc_id = ${PROC_ID} and file_id = ${FILE_ID} and file_dt =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trim trailing spaces from file

I have a file like this. hari,corporationbank,2234356,syndicate ravi,indian bank,4567900000000,indianbank,accese raju,statebank of hyderabad,565866666666666,pause Here each record has different record length and there are blank spaces... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshari8888
8 Replies
CLUBAK(1)						     ClusterShell User Manual							 CLUBAK(1)

NAME
clubak - format output from clush/pdsh-like output and more SYNOPSIS
clubak [ OPTIONS ] DESCRIPTION
clubak formats text from standard input containing lines of the form "node:output". It is fully backward compatible with dshbak(1) but provides additonal features. For instance, clubak always displays its results sorted by node/nodeset. You do not need to use clubak when using clush(1) as all output formatting features are already included in. It is provided for other usages, like post-processing results of the form "node:output". Like clush(1), clubak uses the ClusterShell.MsgTree module of the ClusterShell library (see pydoc ClusterShell.MsgTree). INVOCATION
clubak should be started with connected standard input. OPTIONS
--version show clubak version number and exit -b, -c gather nodes with same output (-c is provided for dshbak(1) compatibility) -d, --debug output more messages for debugging purpose -L disable header block and order output by nodes -r, --regroup fold nodeset using node groups -s GROUPSOURCE, --groupsource=GROUPSOURCE optional groups.conf(5) group source to use -G, --groupbase do not display group source prefix (always @groupname) -S SEPARATOR, --separator=SEPARATOR node / line content separator string (default: :) -F, --fast faster but memory hungry mode (preload all messages per node) -T, --tree message tree trace mode; switch to enable ClusterShell.MsgTree trace mode, all keys/nodes being kept for each message element of the tree, thus allowing special output gathering --color=WHENCOLOR whether to use ANSI colors to surround node or nodeset prefix/header with escape sequences to display them in color on the terminal. WHENCOLOR is never, always or auto (which use color if standard output refers to a terminal). Color is set to [34m (blue foreground text) and cannot be modified. --diff show diff between gathered outputs EXIT STATUS
An exit status of zero indicates success of the clubak command. EXAMPLES
1. clubak can be used to gather some recorded clush(1) results: Record clush(1) results in a file: # clush -w node[1-7] uname -r >/tmp/clush_output # clush -w node[32-159] uname -r >>/tmp/clush_output Display file gathered results (in line-mode): # clubak -bL </tmp/clush_output 2. Another example, iterate over node* text files in current directory and gather characters count for all of them: # find -name "node*" -exec wc -c {} ; | awk '{ gsub("./","",$2); print $2": "$1 }' | clubak -bL node[1,3]: 7 node2: 9 SEE ALSO
clush(1), nodeset(1), groups.conf(5). BUG REPORTS
Use the following URL to submit a bug report or feedback: https://github.com/cea-hpc/clustershell/issues AUTHOR
Stephane Thiell, CEA DAM <stephane.thiell@cea.fr> COPYRIGHT
CeCILL-C V1 1.6 2012-03-28 CLUBAK(1)