Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trim spaces in unix for variable Post 302597036 by itkamaraj on Thursday 9th of February 2012 04:15:11 AM
Old 02-09-2012
To remove all the spaces in $a and $b
Code:

a=${a// /}
b=${b// /}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim white spaces using awk

Hi, I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk. C,FOOTER , 00000642 C,FOOTER , 00000707 C, FOOTER,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete spaces in the variable in unix script?

Hi All, I need your help.I want to know how to delete the spaces in a variable in unix scripting.Please give solution to this probelm... thanks ! :confused: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: MARY76
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TRIM spaces in shell

am get a value like ' 15' in a variable what is the easiest method i can follow to strip 15 out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces and replacing value

Hi, I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor ~? ~ ~783.9 .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kelly woodburg ~nancy ~ ~? Now each row in the file has value for 7 columns with "~" as delimiter. The requirement was i)I need to erase the blank spaces between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim spaces

All, i am comparing the output of one command to a numberic if ] but my problem is the output of follwoing is but but has some leading columns. I don't have any problme in LINUX and HP-UX. But only in AIX i am getting the leading spaces. I have developed my script on LINUX but when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a numeric value from Oracle to UNIX variable without spaces?

Hi, I am using the below code to get a numeric value from oracle to unix variable: BD_RC_CNT=`sqlplus -s ${WMD_DM_CONNECT} <<EOF set heading off set pagesize 0 Select count(*) from wmd_bad_data where proc_id = ${PROC_ID} and file_id = ${FILE_ID} and file_dt =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trim trailing spaces from file

I have a file like this. hari,corporationbank,2234356,syndicate ravi,indian bank,4567900000000,indianbank,accese raju,statebank of hyderabad,565866666666666,pause Here each record has different record length and there are blank spaces... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshari8888
8 Replies
xlator_call(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    xlator_call(8)

Name
       xlator_call - shell script to invoke PostScript translators

Syntax
       xlator_call datatype orientation pagesize width length indent

Description
       This  Bourne  shell script can be called by the line printer daemon to invoke the appropriate translator to convert each data type to Post-
       Script.	The data type passed by may be specified by using the command with the -Ddatatype option, or by using the  Da=datatype	capability
       in the file.

For a file in a data syntax to be translated to PostScript, the script must contain a case branch which recognizes the data type string and
       calls a suitable filter.  The supplied recognizes the ANSI, ASCII, ReGIS and Tektronix 4014 data types.

Arguments
       datatype
       The valid data types are: or any other for which a translator has been installed.

orientation
       The valid orientations are: portrait or landscape.

pagesize
       The valid page sizes are: or

width
       The width (in characters) of the page.

length
       The length (in lines) of the page.

indent
       The amount (in spaces) the output is to be indented.

All the valid arguments are described in detail by the reference page.

Examples
       An example shell script is shown below:
       case $datatype in
       ansi)
	    exec ansi_ps -F $pagesize -O $orientation -e "$@";;
       ascii)
	    echo "(04) cvn {} def"
	    exec ln03rof -w$width -l$length -i$indent;;
       postscript)
	    exec cat;;
       tek4014)
	    exec tek4014_ps -F $pagesize -O $orientation;;
       regis)
	    exec regis_ps -F $pagesize -O $orientation;;
       *)
	    echo "$0: Translator for data type $datatype not installed" >&2
       esac

When the shell script is called, the path searched is:
       /usr/local/lib/lpdfilters:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:
				   /usr/lib:/usr/lib/lpdfilters

Files
       The				       script

See Also
       lno3rof(8), printcap(5), ansi_ps(8), lpd(8)

xlator_call(8)